SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Opinions Please-Personal Injury

donna_loomis
14 years ago

In December of last year, I slipped in a puddle of water at a local grocery store. No signs saying "wet floor" and no mat. I dislocated my elbow and chipped a piece of bone.

I lost just under $1,500 in wages. Medical bills came to a little over $4,000. After I submitted payroll, medical bills and medical records to the grocery store's insurance company, I thought they would offer a settlement. Instead, they told me to submit my demand. I hope not to involve a lawyer and a court case. My elbow is not 100% and most likely will never be. But it does not hinder me from doing most things, except I don't lift as heavy objects as I used to and I must be more careful about using the left arm to hold my weight when getting up from sitting or prone positions. It still causes me some pain, but nothing I can't deal with.

Based on information I found on the web, I came up with an amount I think is reasonable. I work for an attorney, but he doesn't deal in personal injury cases. He suggests strongly that I contact an attorney (he gave me a couple of names) and ask them to take a look at my paperwork and tell me if they think I have a case. He tells me that he knows of at least two cases where people settled for what they thought was a reasonable amount, and then a few years down the road, when they saw the doctor for something, the doctor told them that it was related to the prior injury and their insurance wouldn't pay for it so they had to pay privately.

DH wants me to ask the insurance company to agree to pay for any charges I incur in the future that are deemed related to the injury, but I already know they will laugh at me. It will be a one-time settlement, I'm sure.

I don't know how it is nationwide, but in California a lawyer typically gets 40% of a settlement. So, if I went that route I would have to ask for at least twice as much as I really wanted, right? Then "society" pays. This just seems ridiculous to me. But an attorney has already told me that if I try to do it outside the courts and the insurance company thinks I am asking for too much money, they will just counter with the amount of wages and money I have lost. Period. Then, of course, I would have to go to court anyway to receive anything for pain and suffering.

This whole thing is just making me sick. I just want it to be over, but I don't want to have to worry that I will later have medical bills that I won't be able to pay.

Have any of you been through a personal injury settlement/case before? Do you have any advice?

TIA

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!