SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindnessgw

Family Rm Ideas Desperately Needed:Please Help An Unimaginative Person

cupofkindnessgw
8 years ago

In preparation for a March 12 bridal shower, we are quickly redoing our family room, on a limited budget. We have seven children, the youngest is 14, several in college, only one has left the nest. Most of our money, for practically two decades, has been spent on educating our kids. Our "formal" furniture is 20 year old Pennsylvania House in a cherry finish-my family had a furniture store back in the day-and the upholstery is 1990s jewel tones. Let me give you a quick tour of the public areas of my home:

Last summer we painted the dining room a deep red and added wainscotting, and this drives my choices since all areas open to one another:

Here is a view of the dining room from the family room, including my small entry hall with the strange stone flooring:

Here's the living room, the burgundy colors are more red than purple, thank heaven, just opposite the entry:

There is a black studio piano on the left, just out of view of the shot. The leather sofa is a deep red/burgundy. Hancock and Moore, CL for $275. Wow!

Now to the family room, which is practically empty because we are having two small sofas recovered, note the little old chairs, this is where the new ones will go:

and clutter central:

This built-in is directly across from the fireplace. The room measures about 18' by 22'. It's nearly all doorways and these crazy interior windows that look into the sunroom. The wall-to-wall carpeting is 11 year old Karastan. It's beat but all we can do now is have it cleaned.

Here are the old blue sofas that are being reupholstered:

They're 72" long and the seat is 58" wide, will be converted to a single bench cushion. The arms will be reworked to a more traditional look. The new fabric is a white chenille herringbone pattern called Jumper with Crypton stain treatment. This loveseat is 8-way hand tied and light enough for me to push around the room with ease. It's firm and comfortable. The frame is remarkably sturdy. The normal position for the sofas is to flank the fireplace. When we want to watch a movie or a game, we move the sofa(s) to the area in front of the built in. The fireplace is too high to mount the TV above it.

We've always done this, we are sort of stuck with this arrangement. Three people can comfortably sit on the sofa. This room is grand central station: it's a hall that we criss-cross constantly. There seven doorways (three are six feet wide) and three big windows, so most of the furniture has to float.

Here is the tentative color scheme, the herringbone fabric is Jumper "Cotton" (45,000 double rubs) the tan is the color of a pottery barn chair I'm interested for either side of the fireplace (the only real wall I have to work with), the red, which appears darker in the picture, approximates the dining room walls and the pillows on the leather living room sofa, and the buffalo check print brings in the black plus I've just got to get buffalo checks into this scheme because I love them.

Here's the PB coffe table I just purchased yesterday for an additional 20% off. It was $569 including tax and delivery. I plan to get a piece of glass for the top.

The tan chair is the one which I'm thinking of to put on either side of the fireplace walls, a tight spot at 28" between the brick and the doorway:

This is actually a dining room chair, and it sits beautifully. A lovely, well-made chair. I would like to get a pillow for it, a small lumbar pillow would be best. Maybe in the black buffalo check fabric? The reupholsterer will make eight down-filled pillows too, my choice of fabric. Plus I ordered four of these Darcy pillows from Ballard, but if they are too girly I'll send them back:

We need to tidy up the built-in, we're thinking of painting the back wall of the built-in either deep red or deep green (DH's chioce), and we have to reorganize the cupboards so we can get the gaming gear inside. Painting won't happen now. Maybe a small lamp somewhere would be a nice touch. The main sort of lighting is a Casa Blanca fan plus a spot light above the hearth. The sofas float in the center of the room, and we walk behind them to access bedrooms, we walk between the fireplace and the sofas to get from one set of bedrooms to the master BR, to get to the front door, etc. I would love to get a rug under the sofas, not sure if we can afford that now.

1. I am angsting because tufted furniture can look feminine, and there are four guys in my house plus our dog. I had to buy a coffee table that my DH could put his feet up on.

2. I'm angsting because I don't have a lot of taste and not a risk-taker. I've shopped online, in at least a dozen stores, at thrift shops, antique malls, so I'm on overload.... arghh!

3. Finally, I'm a little worried about the white loveseats, but the time is now, if ever. Though reupholstering is no bargin by any means, We can't wait 8-10 weeks for a special order. I see a lot of griege sofas in a linen-like fabric, just gorgeous, but maybe a little too close in color to the carpet.

I would love an elegant, cozy English country look, but I don't have the space for large over-stuffed pieces, floor lamps, little tables and other charming things. I'll post my inspiration pictures soon, Houzz won't allow me to upload any more pictures in this post.

Finally, any recommendations for a rug measuring 8 by 10', style and colors?

Please give me your honest opinion. Is this good enough? What would make it better? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post!

Comments (28)