SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

X-post, please help me buy tools?

igloochic
15 years ago

OK I've had it, I'm sick to death of the flakes available in this freaking town for contractors and I'm going to finish my danged kitchen and bath myself. Most of what's left is trim work (I am going to make them replace a cabinet under warrenty and perhaps see if the flake can show up and do my bench seating). Anyhoo, that leaves crown and shoe molding, as well as misc light rail etc., or me to do.

I don't want a budget answer as I don't buy budget tools (they last a lifetime and I want quality). So, I need a few things...first I want a nailer, Finish? and I require it to be a gun style, without an air compressor. I need it as light as possible. I will not be building walls with it, just finish work...So any suggestions?

I need a compound sliding miter saw, 13"?? Will that do it, and is there a table that's easier to use than others?

I need a router (to inset some vents into the toe kick trim). Suggestions? Bit kits I shouldn't be without?

I have a quality skill saw and jig saw (both are cordless...I love them!) Dewalt. I have high quality screw and drill guns (Miketa in a cute little silver brief case LOL)

I know I need to be able to make very clean cuts on things like the moldings and want to be sure I hve a good blade...is one better than others?

I'd love to hear from the pro's and any of you fab DIY'ers. I am huge on attention to detail and don't want this to be crap. I do have some construction exerience and know what I can and can't do and will be avidly reading trim how to books in the next week.

Did I miss anything??? Anything else I need? I have this odd recessive male gene that LOVES to go tool shopping....so feel free to imagine your favorite toys LOL

Oh and I may need to finish some travertine baseboard...should I buy a saw or rent one? Special blades???

Comments (11)