SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Danger: Cats and Thread

11 years ago

Many of you have seen me post pictures of my cats, including the handsome blonde, blue-eyed McQueen. McQueen may not be the most even-tempered cat in the house but he's my quilting buddy and my pillow cat, sleeping snuggled up to my head at night. When I'm quilting he curls up on the fabric and watches to see if I'm doing it right. We've had him a bit over 4 years and he's always had a habit of eating thread. It's because of this that I keep the sewing room door closed whenever I'm not in there and I keep all but the thread I'm currently using on an upper shelf. But I must have missed some or turned my back on him at the wrong moment because we've had a thread incident and my beautiful cat is fighting for his life this weekend. If you have a thread-eating cat, I urge you to take more precautions than I've taken! I feel horribly guilty.

I won't go into all the details of his decline and the vet visits, but to make a long and grueling story short, they found a piece of thread lodged under his tongue with both ends disappearing down his throat. X-rays didn't show a needle or any big masses, so that's the good news, but even after they snipped the thread and administered meds, he's still not doing well. We've been using an eye dropper since Friday to get fluids and blended food into him, hoping to move the thread through his system. By now we expected to see some improvement, but he still won't eat or drink on his own. He's very weak and pitiful. I'm so afraid we are losing him.

Please, please, please be more careful than I have been.

Kate

Comments (37)