SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucybear05_gw

Colour scheme questions - help me people!

12 years ago

Hubby and I are custom building a house. Had no clue what I was getting into! The overall aesthetic is quite modern (though not crazy modern, since we are building in a mature central neighbourhood of a large city, which has many old homes). We are going for clean, relatively minimalist, etc. if that gives you all an idea. Our cabinets are going to be a medium gray. White countertops. I am tentively wanting high gloss/almost white sandblasted glass type of tile for backsplash. We have (just about) finally decided on wolf/sub-zero for the appliances. Our kitchen is open to a family room off one side, and has a large kitchen eating area as well. This will all no doubt be a well-used area. I would like this area to have some colour, but not go crazy.

Here are my questions, oh wise gardenweb community:

1. Should we go with the red knobs on the wolf appliances (which I understand are the "signature look") or go with black?

2. If we pick red, are we kind of married to using red in our colour scheme in the kitchen? Red would not be my first choice.

3. Keeping in mind grey cabinetry, medium brown walnut floors and white countertops, I would like any and all suggestions for general colour scheme in the kitchen. Again, I don't want huge colour. I'm not about to paint all my walls green or something. But I would like to bring colour in by way of such things as nice area carpet in family room area, wall art, bowls and other accessories in kitchen, bar stools at the island eating bar, etc. At MOST I would be prepared to perhaps paint a feature wall with a non-neutral colour, but even this makes me leery.

Here is a link to the photo that inspired our cabinetry:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/chelsea-loft-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~26018-Loft-modern-kitchen-new-york

Here is a link to the photo that inspired our choice for hardwood floor:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/caudhill-lane-modern-kitchen-austin-phvw-vp~101484-Lane-modern-kitchen-other-metros

A million thanks in advance everyone!

[woohoo my first post here!]

Comments (5)