SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

October - November 2010 Applique/PP Lotto

User
13 years ago

With the holidays coming up, I thought I'd get this posted a bit early. Again, it will be something a bit different.

This time, instead of everyone doing an applique or paper-pieced block, I'm going to post 2 blocks, one of each format for you to choose from. I believe they'll blend nicely, and you'll be able to choose which you prefer, or do some of each.

Traditional rules say that you may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. But since we're offering 2 patterns, would anyone object to setting the limit at 4 blocks for this lotto instead? For each block you send, your name will be entered once. Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. Also, please follow common lotto and block swap rules in regards to fur free, smoke and scent free 100% quilting cotton to be used. Please include one dollar (or e-mail me for alternatives) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

Address for mailing to moderator:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

For the applique:

You may use any SEWABLE fusible of your choice (Cathy recommends Heat and Bond Lite) to secure your pieces. Any style/type of applique will be acceptable, BUT ALL MUST INCLUDE STITCHING TO SECURELY COVER THE RAW EDGES OF YOUR PATCHES! (In other words, no fusible ONLY applique!)

You will have 3 months to work on your blocks. They must be received by the moderator by the last day of the November.

The winner will be chosen on the first of the first of December.

The applique pattern is a snowflake. Directions can be found at: http://home.arcor.de/lindatacke/pattern/foldcut.htm. This block will be done in white on a background of midnight or navy blue. Cut your base square at 12-1/2", for a 12" finished block. The white may be solid or white on white. The process to make your pattern is like going back to elementary school... fold your square of freezer paper in eighths, and start snipping to make a snowflake. These will probably be much easier to do on fusible interfacing and then sewn around the edge rather than needle-turning the twists and turns. It may be simple or complex depending on what mood you're in while you're making it. And by the way, the Better Homes and Gardens website has a fun "make a snowflake" page that uses this process when the holidays approach. Maybe it will be up while we're still working on our snowflakes. Lots of inspiration there!

Now, for the paper pieced block. It's a pattern called Star O'er Bethlehem and is on the Quilter's Cache at: http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StarO%27erBethlehemBlock.html. So that the stars will blend well with the snowflakes, please keep the colors toward the blue range, rather than the purple that is shown on the pattern.

These are both fairly simple blocks, and I hope you'll have fun with them. Even if we only get a few, they'd make an outstanding holiday wall hanging or table runner.

Comments (30)