SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Idol tonight - The Davids

lydia1959
15 years ago

Great show tonight IMO. I do think David A. had the better song choices, although I loved David C's first and last songs.

I think it could go either way tomorrow. Both are deserving, although Cook has been my favorite for quite some time.

What'd you think?

Comments (31)

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Ive been with Little David from the get go,,,WHAT A VOICE!!! He just warms my heart!!!

• renee_fl
    15 years ago

In spite of who the judges were trying to influence America to vote for I think David Cook is more deserving. He is the total package.

• Related Discussions

American Idol tonight?

Q

Comments (2)
    No biggy, Kath. We usually have fun with both when more than one thread is going. Yeah, her name Syesha (sp?). I thought she was pretty good, too. But Archuletta was great!
    ...See More

Contestant voted off American Idol tonight

Q

Comments (24)
    I know I'm late in commenting on this but I'm so very disappointed. I thought that David A., David C. and Michael would be the top three. I just really can't see any of the girls going to the top. I liked Michael and David Cook equally, so now I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for David Cook. I really think it's way overdue for both Carly and Sayesha to leave the show. Brooke is nice but I find her very dull and not an entertainer at all. So, here I am, heartbroken over Michael being out of the competition. When Ryan made the comment that this time last season they chose to not send anyone home, I thought for sure they were going to do this with Michael. Why did Ryan even bring that up???
    ...See More

Contestant voted off American Idol tonight

Q

Comments (20)
    I thought David Cook would win AI when I saw his auditions in Hollywood. He was a bit creepy looking with his odd haircut but the AI stylists have done a good job cleaning him up and still leaving him with his "look". My DH doesn't like Cook because he reminds him of one of my not so popular brothers and I have to agree, he does look like him. I cannot get used to David A's breathing while he sings. Obviously I know it is necessary :-) but it is so loud that it distracts me. He's had vocal cord paralysis in the past and I worry that it may be a liability to him later on. Not sure if a producer wants to pour big bucks into a voice that has a history of medical problems. Jodi-
    ...See More

Idol tonight - 4/8/08

Q

Comments (13)
    I didn't like Jason's version either. Lauren turned and looked at me last night when Michael was singing and I told her that is how the song sounds originally. I kinda liked it. David Cook was awful. Syesha has a good voice but she doesn't have a distinct sounding voice, if I heard her on the radio I wouldn't know who she was. I still like Carley and Kristy Lee was really good (didn't think they would like her since she sung a Martina McBride song, though), Brooke was awful. Lauren and I are voting for David Archuletta right now. Not literally, but hoping he wins. Lauren also told me she "had" to watch tonight since the Jona's brothers are going to be performing. She has Nick all over her walls, has him as her screen saver on the computer, etc...she's obsessed.
    ...See More
  • pattico_gw
    15 years ago

You know....I've like little David the best nearly all the way through....Then just lately I realized I hoping for David C. to win.

It's hard to choose between two complete different singing types. David C. is a rock singer. David A. is what...a ballad , crooner....?

I guess what type of music you like is what you'll vote for.

I think they are both just at the top of what they do.

patti

• workoutlady
    15 years ago

I really like David Cook and no matter what, I would definitely buy his stuff if he keeps to the type of stuff he's done throughout the competition. I think he is much more seasoned. I think David A's dad is just too much trouble and he won't amount to much because of it. If he gets rid of dad (career wise) then he has a shot. He does have a beautiful voice but personally I get tired of the ballads. With all that being said, I want David C to win but I expect David A to win. Maybe we should all vote because we know the young kids will.

• brenda_in_tx
    15 years ago

Well I'm no young kid but I voted for David A. I love his style. I think David C. is a great guy and I'm sure he'll be successful, but his music just isn't anything I'd ever listen to. I'm sure both will go on to be very successful, no matter who wins.

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

My take on it is this: I love both Davids...however-methinks that David A. is way too immature to handle the pressure of being an 'Idol". Awesome voice and yet-I can't help but believe he's been tugging at America's heartstrings-what with all of the strife, we as a country are going through right now...I can't help but think his 'daddy' has swayed him to do his 'inspirational songs' all thru the competition. Superb renditions-however-David C. has repeatedly shown his ingenuity in making every song he's been given to sing....his own. True musician, in my opinion. All business (almost too much so-where's the smiles?) But-you know what? Give the title to him & when David A. comes back again in a year or two-when his voice has changed & he's more mature..he WILL be the Idol that year!!
    And in my honest opinion..as the most believed person (Walter Cronkite) always said, as he closed his newscast... "And..THAT'S the way it is!"

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

Little David gets my vote.

We're going to record the show and skip all the fodderdol. Who wants to sit through a 4 hour show to hear only 6 competition songs? The producers are dragging this one out too far and are loosing their audencies. It becomes an excuse for an advertising platform with little entertainment value.

• duckiedo
    15 years ago

how come they said 2007 competition...???

xoxo
    duck

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Who wants to sit through a 4 hour show to hear only 6 competition songs? The producers are dragging this one out too far and are loosing their audencies. It becomes an excuse for an advertising platform with little entertainment value.

Today's show was only an hour for the 6 songs. Tomorrow's Finale is 2 hours, but it's always been like that. The top 10 will sing and they'll recap the competition, then announce the winner.

Duckie, who said that? Did they say it on the show?

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

If I was voting it would be for David Archuletta. I watched it on DVR a little while ago. (had to work today)

• donna_oh
    15 years ago

Archuleta for this OLD lady!! I even voted a bunch tonight! LOL

Donna (^_^)

• sue_va
    15 years ago

I liked David A from the beginning. I don't doubt David C's ability and he has better stage presence, but he also is 7? years older. David A's dad can be out of the picture in less than a year. He has interfered, but look where it has gotten his son. Can that be all bad?

I think the entertainment business has enough loud, sometimes screaming singers. David A is the calming influence we need.

Sue

P.S. I saw my boy Jason in the audience. Bless his heart!

• donna_oh
    15 years ago

Oh Sue, you think the way I do all the way about the Davids-

Isn't Jason the sweetest? Love looking at his eyes & hearing his comforting voice! Is it my age?? LOL

Told my DD that Cook was too loud etc--she said "MOM, thats rock" LOL, I know that, but I don't like rock!

Donna (^_^)

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I love rock....!!!!!

hope I never get to old for it...

patti

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

David A. did the only thing he could do -- sing w/ all his heart. David C. did something tonight that I still can't quite comprehend...I think he gave in.

All along, he knew he couldn't beat David A. on vocals alone so he used his rocker-persona to stylize his performances. But it fell flat tonight.

WTG David A., best vocalist by a mile.

Susan

• Cherryfizz
    15 years ago

I also thought David Cook seemed defeated right from when he spoke his first words. I really don't care for David A's singing but that is just me - he sang good but not my cup of tea. I thought the judges were too "gooey" tonight regarding David A's performances. They know who is going to win. If I could vote I would put all my votes on David C.

Anne

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

I find it hard to believe that David C actually wants to win this thing. I think the losers have it easier - they get their name out there but they don't have to deal with being the 'American Idol'.

David A strikes me as a kid I can see singing lead in the school musical but he makes me gag. That demographic is probably the most lucrative though so no wonder the judges were so 'gooey' over him.

Bottom line is that is really doesn't matter who wins. I've only ever heard Taylor Hick's music play in my grocery store. I never heard any of his songs on the radio here. From that season though, I've heard plenty of Elliott Yamin, Kellie Pickler, Bucky Covington and Chris Daughtry of course.

• Maura63
    15 years ago

There are pros and cons for either David to win, or not, as the case may be.

I think David C. is the whole package, and has more selling power -- and doesn't need the Idol title to be successful, and may even be more successful without it. Therefore, maybe he doesn't want it?

I don't think David A. is mature enough to be in the Idol spotlight for the next year, BUT, I think that the loss would be more emotionally devastating to David A., due to his age and the parental pressure.

While I think David C. is more deserving, that he is more talented as a musician - I also think that vocally, David A. is technically better.

Bottom line, I guess I think that David Cook should win, but I hope that David Archuleta wins. I can envision David C. taking second and congratulating David A. -- but I can't imagine how David A. might react if the outcome is the opposite.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

I love them both...really love them both! This is a hard one this time. David Cook is more my style of music, but I love David A's voice. They are both a winner....both are going to do equally well I think. I don't see a loser here at all!

• amicus
    15 years ago

I think they both have such a beautiful clear tone to their voices. Both should have amazing careers in the music industry. I know I won't be popluar for saying this, but the only thing I'm not overly thrilled about with David A. is that he tends to make all songs sound alike, IMO. I wish I knew the correct term for it, but he puts so many warbles or extra notes into almost every line, that although he does it exquisitely, it just makes anything he sings sound the same to me.

So while I'd love to hear him on the radio, I doubt I would want to listen to back to back songs on a C.D. because of the repetitive style. I felt David A. stuck with ballad/easy listening music too much and we didn't get much opportuity to hear how he'd handle other genres. Although David C. is clearly into Rock, I thought he showed more diversity, so I found him more well rounded as a singer and think he deserves the title.

• ann_in_florida
    15 years ago

Davis C has my vote!!! I like David A. He has a great voice but when it gets right down to it, what really stands out about him. He's a good singer but not a good entertainer. You know what I mean? He just lacks the charisma. For me, it's like he's completely programmed to go out and sing. Most of his songs are way too old...and too "gooey" (Simon) for a 17 year old kid to be singing. Sure, these young girls love him now but how many CD's will he sell to them singing that type of song?

On the other hand, David Cook has charisma and audience appeal. He has shown his ability to sing many different types of songs and has done well with all of them. He's a bit older and is better able to handle the pressure of being the winner of this competition. Personally, I think the AI big-wigs think Cook is going to win and that's why the judges had all the great compliments for David A last night. This way, it will appear to be a real shocker when Cook wins!!! Regardless, I love David Cook and hope he wins tonight. I was a rock fan in my younger days but have mellowed out a lot over the years. I have to say that David C is the first rocker I've cared for in many years amd I would rush out to buy his cd!!!

• judy_jay
    15 years ago

I'm with pickyshopper. David A. is great on the ballads he sings, but just not versatile. I'm rooting for David C. but I'll be okay either way now that Jason is out of the picture. Sorry, but I could not take that guy - dreads & voice both.

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

They're both wonderful, but David A. is my pick -- but then, he lives in my neighborhood. Of course I'm not prejudiced at all (yeah, right).

• danihoney
    15 years ago

I would love to see David C win mostly because of the same reasons already mentioned above. He is far more consistent and versatile and that makes me think he's more deserving. I also think, in the long run, David C will be better off NOT winning. Even though he seemed to get emotional last night, and really did a good job, I wondered if he wasn't also shooting for the number two slot.

I think little David sang his boots off last night and did exactly what the judges advised them to do. He gave it his all. I also think it was genious of little David to choose to sing second and ultimately last.

I worry about little David being too immature for what is about to happen to him, unless this is all a made up persona to make him more endearing. I see him being a Christian singer down the road.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

I actually tried to vote for David Cook, but the call wouldn't go through.

I think David A. has all the "tweens" votes and it may be tough for Cook to win.

I can't believe that they had Rueben on last night. Where the heck has he been? He sounded awful after listening to the 2 Davids sing.

Gayle

• good36
    15 years ago

Isn't tonight when they bring back all the contestants? I know that's what they have done in the past. They all preform and talk, talk, talk? I think taping it is a good idea too!
    Judy

• bearcat_va
    15 years ago

Another David Cook fan, here. David A. just doesn't do it for me. I think everything he sings sounds the same...he has a wonderful voice, but he's more Clay Aiken-ish, IMO. I love David Cook, plus, I think he's super good looking!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I don't see David Archuleta as a Clay A. type...more along the lines of a young Josh Groban. :)

• cynic
    15 years ago

I don't watch Idol very much but I watched it last night. As always, I was clearing my throat when Cook was singing and was trying to figure out what the hell happened to his hair! Looks like he over-moussed and fell asleep on it!

But that said, I really liked his first performance. I rated it an absolute tie between his and Archuletta's first performance. I liked Cooks singing in the second one too and liked the song so kudos to the writer on it. The problem was Cook hit a real sour note about 3rd note from the end that went through me like fingernails on a blackboard. Otherwise I liked the performance so only a sour note gave the edge to Archuletta on the 2nd song.

Third was confusing. Cook's performance was, well, boring. Yawn. His strong start fizzled by the third song. Archuletta was essentially perfect on the night. I don't agree with the hat-trick or "knockout" as Cowell said, but I score 2 wins and a tie to Archuletta on last night.

So on performance, I'd say Archuletta won the night. However, my question is, how many vote for their favorite rather than the performance? Even here, there's favorites and the performance wouldn't make a difference. There's a few who will vote not just for the person, but what difference will it make? I think the die-hard fans will be voting hundreds of times so the actual votes that should count won't.

For either of them, 1st or 2nd place won't make a difference. For that matter, look at Fantasia, Reubin, Hicks and see what have they done? Nothing. Show votes mean nothing, talent will win in the end. I'd like to cast my vote for Sanjaya! LOL The kid has personality at least, which Fanty, Rube and Hicky so sorely lack.

I'm just glad it's coming to an end. Finally. Bring on Hell's Kitchen!

• danihoney
    15 years ago

Cynic - I have to disagree with you regarding, at least, Fantasia. She has been pretty successful in her genre. The thing with the three of them is they are not mainstream pop stars. I believe Fantasia has won some awards and I know she just finished a stint on Broadway. I don't know much about Hicks. I saw a show he did at the Filmore in S.F. a while back. I wasn't there, it was on T.V. I think Reuben is doing alright within his R&B crowd. They're just not top 40 artists.

It seams that if they at least finish in the top 10 they have a pretty good chance of a record deal.

• judy_jay
    15 years ago

Clay Aiken came in second to Reuben & was actually quite a success. I own just about all of his CD's (not the new one that just came out), he's had numerous tours across the U.S. & is on Broadway in NYC now with "Spamalot". Not bad for coming in second.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH