SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beschenbach_gw

What to look for in a general contractor

beschenbach
15 years ago

We are getting close to finalizing our layout/plan (with a KD/architect)and have just started trying to figure out who the heck is going to do this work. Although my dh is very handy, I know we won't be DIY because of the scope and because he's so busy with work.

We have interviewed thus far....

1) a design-build firm (quote came out at 127K) - very nice operation but I think we'd be paying a premium for some of the conveniences of having them really help us through the process of picking out motif of kitchen and such

2) a mid-range remodeling company (quote came out at 86K) - although the quote was lower, their allowances seemed really lame to me, and makes me worry that it's a lowball quote just to lure us in

3) A carpenter who would act as a GC also - 15% upcharge would be charged for the management and coordination. His quote hasn't come in yet (hopefully today or tomorrow), but hopefully it's within our budget (about 80K). He actually brought in a plumber, electritian and HVAC to be able to provide us a very accurate estimate instead of just throwing out a ball park.

SO, my question to y'all.... what questions should I be asking the GC? I will try to go out and get some references and look at their work, but am not sure exactly what to look for other than obvious things like how their corners look on moldings, do the cabinets look like they are installed perfectly, etc. Supposedly this guy is a perfectionist and I have a really good vibe about him, but am wondering if I should be looking even at more people. Do you thing the carpenter/GC route usually works out well? I thought it sounded good because he'd be working on the job and coordinating at the same time, so would really have a feel for the project holistically.

If I go this route though, I'd really be on my own as far as picking out cabinets, backsplash, sink, etc. But I'm OK with that because of all of you (seriously!) and also my KD would also help. She's kind of just helping us get launched with the plan as she doesn't usually do small jobs like this (she's a friend).

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

not sure if it matters, but I'm in the Chicagoland area.

p.s. I"ll be posting soon about how to go about picking cabinet makers to get quotes from. I'm thinking Omega, Bertch, possibly custom, woodmode (maybe too pricy), etc.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor