SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Design and floorplan discussion...

mlo1
17 years ago

A humble little ole ranch home, I know. Here is a link to a few photos that start with the homes current design, a common ridge with a 5' bump out for a narrow (19') 2 car garage.

I had a few issues driving the proposed changes. First the kitchen and mst.BR/bath needed to be larger and upgraded. This is refered to as the "southwest wing" (back of the home), and has been engineered and permitted. The width of the addition (26ft) is the same as the main living area so that the perpendicular ridges intersect with no perception of an add-on.

Secondly, the garage was inadequate for a two car, at 19' wide with a column in the center. I also have a dislike of large ominous garages in the front (subjective I know), and was wanting to minimize it's impact. I decided a 14'x26' single car with a 9' door would serve me well and allow the current forward ominous hip to be removed. This design will neccesitate the laundry and hot water tank being removed from the garage.

Thirdly, The entry (or lack-of) into the living rm and in the center of the home, was both un-inviting and disliked/awkward. After many sketches, I came up with the "green highlited" addition outlined on the floorplan photo. This adds 6' to the bedroom wing (south side) allowing a laundry rm between the BR's and main bath (laundry needed a "new" home from the garage). It added eight feet to the area in-front of the living rm (entry area), as that wall was recessed into the home 2' creating a 4' porch/overhang at the entry. I once again used the 26' living area width for the this proposed front bump-out width, so the ridges would line up. To give a little definition, I show a set-back (part of front corner BR) on the new front where the corner BR is. This would mean the eave from the hip roof would have a 4' overhang in-front of that BR, and only 2' in-front of the entry/living area. The hip roof would also be framed to have a 4' overhang in-front of the new entry facing North (view "A").

Lastly, a window theme that would tie things in, or atleast be fitting for the new structure. I have 5 designs I played with on the front of the home and am not convinced any of them "work". More than likely I just need some sense of direction or confirmation one way or the other.

I'm not entirely happy with the mst.bath layout either.

The logistics of posting photos has been an interesting undertaking, certainly. I welcome any feedback or propmting, even if its just saying "your nuts"!

Thank you for your time.

Comments (9)