SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ian8200

Looking For Advice Before Big Remodel

ian8200
11 years ago

Ok.. I have read numerous posts on here and like all the replies. I am getting dangerously close to commencing another remodel on our home to finish it out. I am looking for opinions/ideas on what to do with these areas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As a brief background, we are going after the entry way, kithcen, family room, & dinning room. We are going to remove the wall which seperates the Kitchen/Dinning Room. Currently, these two rooms have a small finished floor elevation difference (6" roughly). This same issue presents itself in the family room (Green Carpet). Finally, the rest of the house finished floor elevation matches the kitchen/dinning room. In other words, only the family room and living room finished floors are at different elevations.

In the family room I am struggling with moving the television to another wall because of the multiple focal points which will be created. I am looking to all of you for your feeling on this. We are also going to subtantially reduce the fireplace wall. It's a little too much (roughly 19' Long and 6' High) I plan on surrounding it with some sort of natural stone and a mantel which can spread the whole wall but have cabinets on either side to tie it all together.

If the TV doesn't move to the the other wall, I was thinking of having the cabinet on the left of the fireplace be angled and designed to accomodate the TV. Again, I am concerned about two major focal points of the room that close to one another. Comments?

Fianlly the ceiling, with removal of the rock & paneling I am fearful the cedar ceiling with rough sawn beams will not match drywall with a level 4 finish like the rest of the house has. I was thinking just capping the cedar with 1/4" drywall and maybe the beams too. Then trying to accent the indside of each beam with crown moulding. Again, I am concerned with the amount of focus this will pull to the ceiling.

Ok well, I know this is alot but hopefully I get some good feedback from the community.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for reading/helping.

Ian

Comments (18)