SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Antique post-and-beam renovation: insulation questions!

Stacey Collins
10 years ago

Hi folks, I am helping my mom with a major whole-house renovation of an 1800's post-and-beam cape in Maine. The home has been gutted and an absurd amount of structural work had to be done... basically building a new house inside the shell of the old one! She and I have just finished running all the electrical wiring in the gutted walls, and the next step is insulation and drywall.

She has decided to go with blown-in cellulose in the exterior walls and second floor ceiling (which is the roof... so basically a cathedral ceiling.) Unfortunately the exterior walls are pretty thin, in some places the cavity is only 3.5" deep, in others it may be 4.5". I had hoped she could get a really high R-value foam, but it was too costly. Please keep in mind that this is a very low-budget reno. She is getting spray foam on the basement/sill walls, though.

My question has to do with all the holes and gaps in the original sheathing. It's just wide planks, of course, and there are numerous knotholes and gaps up to 2" wide throughout the house. In some areas, the wood clapboard siding had to be removed, and there is Typar building paper in those areas, but I can see a whole lot of daylight through those walls! And in other areas the original clapboards (with their very old tarpaper beneath) remain, so there isn't even new building paper in those areas.

I am wondering whether these gaps and holes are going to further degrade her already light R-value. If I read the web sites right, the recommended R-vales for our climate are R13-21 for the cavity and R5-6 for the sheathing. Her cellulose in the cavity will be just R12 in the 3.5" areas, so I'm worried that these gaps in the old sheathing will further lower the recommended R5-6 sheathing value.

Removing all of the clapboards and re-sheathing the house is NOT a possibility. I'm wondering if there is anything we can do now, while the walls are open and before the insulation is installed, to increase the R-value of these walls from the inside. Spray foam each and every crack/gap with Great Stuff? Install some inexpensive type of barrier before the cellulose goes in?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments (7)