SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvazqu

Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)

cvazqu
9 years ago

Good morning! We are having a problem with our new home (been in for a year now... but I'm hoping the collective wisdom here that I learned so much from during our building process will be able to help me a year later).

Background: our house is almost entirely hardi plank siding, but we have a section of old Virginia brick on the front facing gable and all three chimney stacks.

Not long after we moved in, we developed a roof leak that ended up leaking through the family room ceiling before we were aware of the problem. At first, we thought it was a flashing problem on the chimney that goes through the roof for the back porch chimney, our builder checked it out, had the flashing people come out, they checked everything, but pointed out to the builder that they could tell what the problem was when they were driving up: there was a large wet spot on the side of one of the chimney stacks- our antique bricks were absorbing water they said. Wetness was also observed on the other two stacks, as well.

The builder had people come out to "seal" the bricks and we were told we would likely need to repeat the sealing every five years or so. That was in June. Last night, my husband thought he heard dripping water, went into the attic, and found it was leaking again via one of the chimney stacks (the same offending chimney stack that led to the biggest leak last time).

We have called the builder, who is coming out to see about it today. But I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this issue and can offer any advice or knowledge relevant to this issue. If further information is needed from me, please let me know and I will try to provide it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (11)