SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizinin

Remodeling working farmhouse - need advice!

LizinIN
10 years ago

Hello! I have been reading GardenWeb for my garden for years. An upcoming house remodel has gotten me reading the home forums and I would love to hear what all the good advice givers have to say! My DH and I live in a 2 (maybe 3) bedroom ranch-style house his grandparent's built in 1970. His aunt and uncle moved in and remodeled in the early 90s, and DH bought the house about 5 years ago and did a lot of basic work like flooring and new windows, but no actual 'remodeling', and nothing to the kitchen! My husband is a farmer and we live at the main farm, and I cook, can, freeze, and preserve a lot, so a very functional home design is a must. I want a kitchen that can go for 30 years with minimal updates, and I really like the semi-fitted style (not all built ins, incorporating family pieces like hutches and Hoosier cabinets). A must-have is a real mudroom/office that DH can run a business out of. We would like to add a master bedroom and bath as well if possible. Our house faces north, but we are planning to add a 'wing' on to the south side. We have a grain handling setup to the southeast and my garden to the southwest. I would also really like a porch/sunroom area to keep plants and have a sunny seat. We are short on south facing windows now, and I really want to get as much sunny south exposure as possible. Any and all suggestions are welcome. DH's grandma says she has the original plans somewhere, so I will post those if/when they are located. Picture below is of the north side of the house, but it gives an idea of style.
Thank you!

This post was edited by LizinIN on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 14:08

Comments (4)