SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

Backsplash HELP!...Purchasing Time has Commenced!

sabjimata
14 years ago

We have a date set for demolition: May 3rd. Very excited. Permission granted to go on a shopping frenzy.

Our kitchen will be a long, narrow galley. I was planning on white subway tile from Lowes because of the clean, classic look and the affordability. I do have a love for green tile, but it really did not seem at all in our budget.

Perimeter cabs will probably be Schuler Divinity white and the island/other half of the galley will probably be alder with a walnut stain (still need to get the final pricing of cabs). It is a double width island, 15' long. Around the center, there will be a 5' wide wall (support issue) that the range will be up against on the kitchen side and the dish sink will be up against on the nook side. Carrera tops all around. One soapstone sink, one fireclay. Stainless appliances. Kitchen in center of house, not much natural light.

The backsplash on the wall of white cabinets will be white subway. I also have a very large and pretty mosaic pearlescent/white shell framed mirror that will go above the soapstone sink (high up...no upper cabs there).

Okay. The area on the nook side was going to have white subway tile but then I found this VERY cheap green glass tile that is similar but not exactly close to a tile I love (pictured below). This is the area of the white fireclay sink. This tile is actually cheaper than the 24 cent 3 x 6 tile at Lowes! So, I am trying to decide if I should stick with the white tile or go for the green for a little fun and color and beauty (this is the dining side of the equation).

Also, behind the range. I was going to do a recessed niche for oil/vinegar/etc to keep the island (hopefully) clean and uncluttered. Should this area be white or green or white with green niche (probably not, right?).

Any visionaries out there to help me out? I really *DO* want feedback!

A concern I have also is how the green tile will affect the look of the white marble....will the marble look greenish-tinged?

As an FYI, the tile is $2/sq foot @

http://www.floorsandsurfaces.com/wall-tile/hakatai-enterprises-ub303-m-classic-standard-blends-ub303-m-floor-tile-ivy-blend_g319395.html

That's glass tile!

Here is what I am not changing--layout, countertops, finishes on cabinets.

The Backsplash I Love

Affordable

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida