SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Contractor Scratched New Wood Floor - What to do?

kimberlyrkb
13 years ago

During a meeting with our kitchen remodel contractor last night, he pointed out to us that they scratched our brand new wood floor that they had just put in. They had cardboard down on the floor to protect it, but when they pushed the fully loaded fridge back in yesterday afternoon, the fridge wheels went right through the cardboard and scratched the floor. The scratches are more like long dents (not gouges) and there are several of them. You really need to look closely to see them. The floor is hickory and is somewhat "busy" but you definitely can see the scratches if you look.

The scratches are just inside our kitchen door from our mud room; they may end up partially covered by our island, but not much. They're primarily right in front of the fridge.

The contractor has offered to completely sand and then refinish the floors to make things right. (Floor is 3/4" hardwood, so it can easily take a refinish at this point, but that's one less someone will be able to do in the future.) They say they can't rip up that section and replace the boards - it is very near the wall so it would be easy enough to do if it were technically possible. (It's not like it's smack dab in the middle of the floor.)

The kitchen is almost done at this point. We're getting granite countertops put in Monday and we can then finally have our range, dishwasher and sink back again. But if we refinish the floors, we're out at least another week PLUS, it will be a major inconvenience, as this area is a major traffic pattern from the front to back of the house, and we must pass through this space to get to the upstairs of our house where our bedroom is and one of our cats lives. I'm already dying to have our house back to normal and it's only been 7 weeks since it was ripped up.

The contractor feels just terrible about this and has been completely honest. I told him I am reluctant to go through the refinish process and I'm debating whether or not it's worth it, and he threw out something else for us to think about: he's willing to paint the kitchen/dining (which we were going to do to save money), tile the fireplace and hearth (which was going to be another one we would do or hire out later), and swap out several electrical outlets that need to be changed. I know these items don't quite equate to the cost to refinish, but they are things that are worth it to have done on their dime, plus I think we'll get a better end result, especially with the tiling and painting. I am far too busy right now to do these things myself, and I don't see any time in the near future I can get to them. (DH is wonderful in many ways, but his attention to detail on home projects isn't so great, so these are MY projects!)

On the one hand I'm way bummed that our floor isn't perfect. On the other, it's going to be a HUGE pain to have our floor out of commission for a week or 10 days given its location in our house and the fact that it's a major through-way.

Has anyone ever made this decision before? Should we just suck it up and have the floors refinished? Or realize that we ARE dealing with wood here, it's not going to be perfect, and we'll very likely scratch it a few times ourselves, and have some of our other projects tackled in exchange?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Kimberly

Comments (20)