SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keyc_gw

Kitchen remodel pix and question about stained glass lighting

keyc
10 years ago

Hi, Just finished kitchen remodel...almost. Been in our circa '75 ranch about 20 years...bought it for the land/barn/location (small horse farm near good schools...house was not a priority at the time!). Anyhow, the kitchen was horrid...fake butcher block, blue and white linoleum, yellow pine cabinets, and blue and tan cornucopia horn vinyl wallpaper...yeah...so about 15 or more years ago, we did a 'cheap' remodel...just put in tile, new neutral formica, and painted the cabinets. Brass door hardware and faucet was 'in' at the time...

Anyhow, just finished my 'real' remodel. Worked with our contractor who has done all the other work on our home/barn that we haven't done ourselves. I was the KD...didn't even know what a KD was until I started looking on the 'net for ideas. My biggest concerns were increasing counter space, usable storage, and making sure the remodel kept in 'theme' with the house. It is a 70's ranch that I've been trying to give a bit of a craftsman feel to, just because that is the design/decor I am the most drawn to, but it is also a working farm house, so I didn't want anything 'over decorated' or too sleek. I wanted warm, functional, and just an improvement on what I had (the last of which would not be hard!).

I think we succeeded. I'm very happy. I took these pix with my phone and the colors in the finished product are somewhat ashy/washed out. the cabinet and counter colors are a good bit warmer looking in person. That's formica fx180 in slate sequoia.

My main question...note the stained glass light and cabinet doors...gotta tell you...this was my stroke of genious. A couple years ago, I found a stained glass fireplace screen at a garage sale for $50. I had no idea what I would use it for, but my arts and crafts sensibility was drawn to it and the price was right. I'd been using it as a screen to hide a rack of tv tray tables...it wouldn't fit in on the hearth in front of my wood stove insert.

Anyway, I had the contractor frame out a ceiling light with the center of the screen and flank the microwave with two cabinet doors made from the side pieces of the screen. I love the way it turned out, but want to back light the cabinet doors and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. I have a standard outlet in the cabinet above the microwave, so we don't need/want to hardwire anything. Rope lighting seems to show through too much as individual lights, and puck lights mounted to the back of the cabinets shooting out look nice, until you put a box of spaghetti or baking mix in front of the light...one single light at the top or bottom won't shoot up or down past the shelves. Suggestions? There's about one inch clearance between the shelves and the glass.

And...haven't decided on a backsplash yet. I'd love craftsman tile murals...but it's not in the budget. I just framed behind my woodstove with tin ceiling tiles...but I'm thinking maybe just a lighter almost subway tile?

In the before pix, that big sideboard thing was in the sun porch that we tore out and rebuilt...we put it on the kitchen wall after we plastered over a doorway into the dining room that we no longer needed after the sunroom remodel, just so we'd have some extra temporary storage and counter space. Yep, that was one hideous kitchen.

The refrigerator was very affordable for a stainless...and it's a counter depth, which I think makes a huge difference...it did limit our affordable fridge options...and I'm not a huge fan of the side-by-side layout, but it was right at $1K and has crushed ice in the door...I couldn't pass it up.

The hardwood floors match and flow seamlessly into the sunroom. I love them...so worth the money. The whole remodel with the refridgerator will end up right around $15K I think...still haven't gotten the final bill as my contractor still has to bring over that last cabinet door for above the sink. Whatever backsplash we realistically can do will be nominal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dancing Horse Farm kitchen!

Comments (17)