SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Landscape Quilt Class - Supply List

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

In preparation for our September class on Landscape Quilts here on our forum, today I'm posting the supplies you will need to make one of the class projects. Of course, you can make both the River Bend and the Sail Away small landscape quilts if you choose.

I will send the pdfs to Cannahavana (Rebecca) this week and she will put them on her web site and link to the site so you can access the files and print out the patterns.

The method I teach is from Linda Crone's book, Fabric Landscapes by Machine. She has graciously approved my teaching from her book.

If you have any questions about the supplies list, please post them on this thread and I will answer as soon as I am able.

Landscape Quilt Class - supplies needed

Purpose: In this class you will learn the basics of "building" a landscape with fabric. And, you will learn how to transpose landscapes from greeting cards, photos, and calendars into patterns for your own unique designs.

Project: You may choose a mountain lake or a river scene for your small wall quilt. Borders are added to the finished landscape, then the top, batting, and backing are sandwiched together. Minimal machine quilting holds the layers together. Binding is applied to the edges; a hanging sleeve is a convenient option and that all-important label finishes the project.

Fabrics: Look for fabrics that imitate SKY, WATER, and LAND. You can choose the natural colors of these elements, or choose colors never found in nature! Lay out the fabrics together to see that your hues blend and the scale of the prints are varied. Batiks work especially well with this technique.

Supply List:

10" x 12" piece of muslin

10" x 12" piece of stabilizer such as medium weight non-fusible interfacing

scraps of about 15 different fabrics, about 10" x 12" each  sky, sun, river, lake, 3-5 mountains, river bank, tree, foliage, boat, island depending on design

threads to match fabrics or contrast

1/2yard fusible web for applique

pattern tracing paper or plain newsprint

pencil

pins

monofilament thread for quilting, if desired,

sewing machine in good working order with any special feet or attachments for decorative stitches

basic sewing notions, including fabric and paper scissors

10" x 12" piece of thin cotton or polyester batting

Note: a machine that does decorative stitches is nice to have for this class, but zigzag stitch capability is perfectly acceptable.

Here is a pic of the Sail Away design. I will try to take a pic this week of the River Bend design and post it.

Teresa

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH