SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

ole joyful's recent adventures

joyfulguy
11 years ago

Friend called, asked about my taking him and a friend on a double trip to a couple of nearby locations, today.

I allowed as how I'd rather not, as I had a lot of work to do in the garden, and it'd rained the night before ... how about doing it yesterday, as I was to go to town for Church Council meeting in the evening?

His friend's truck licence was outdated, and he'd got a ticket the night before, for noisy muffler ... and needed to go to a nearby town to pay overdue rent on storage unit , or lose his stuff. Then to another town to get some carnie supplies for my friend ... and I was to keep his (female canine) over the weekend.

I thought that we had lots of time, but we were a bit late, and I wanted to do some printing at the library (at a fee - but free had I been here, quite a few miles away).

Late getting to pastoral care commmittee, prior to council.

En route home, as I neared home, the (female canine) was hopping around, looking out the window, sniffing at the vent, etc. ... so, as there were no cars on the road, about 500 feet from our gate, I let her out of the car (usually do that at the end of the lane).

She ran for a couple of hundred feet along the far shoulder, then slowed up ... and I saw a pair of eyes, on the shoulder of the road, to my right ... and don't know whether the f c had any connection with that ... raccoon.

As I drove a couple of hundred feet more, nearing the end of the lane ... another raccoon was running across the road, from our field where there are a few ears of unthreshed corn left over from last fall, toward the woods on the other side of the road.

As if that was not unusual enough, as I began turning into the lane, another pair of eyes was looking at me from the culvert in the ditch ... and, as the critter started to run away, turned out it was skunk!

As my friend is displeased to get his f c back with skunk smell all over her, necessitating major washing, aggravating her dry skin - I took off after it in the car, herding across a cultivated field, wanting to have it get as far away from the house, barn and sheds as possible.

Not a good move - for a hundred yards or so in, with the skunk slowing down substantially ...

... an animal came zooming past the driver's door, headed toward the skunk ...

... grabbed it, there was a bit of rolling in the dirt, they parted ...

... and by that time, I'd opened the door and yelled at the f c.

She, obedient ... left the skunk alone. I guess that the skunk was too scared and tuckered out to use the major deterrent at its disposal ... as there was only a slight whiff of the unmistakeable odour evident on the f c.

Hopefully, by the end of the weekend, barring some other jarring experience ... the odour will have pretty well dissipated. And the skunk have decided that a distant location would engender much less trouble.

I'd done a wash yesterday morning, and when I got home the dew had made taking it in unwise, so it stayed on the line.

And I was to get some seeds planted, today.

When I awoke, and looked out the window - raindrops hanging from the (nearer) wash line.

After some time, when the clothes were dry, I'd brought them in, and just got the last wash, which had remained in the washer, nicely hung out ...

... when it started to rain again. Just a sprinkle.

Phone doesn't ring a lot ... and some friends claim that I'm never there (and it gets worse, in summer) but I had an interesting call, this morning.

The minister called, asked how I was, and I replied that I was still alive ... that if I found out different... I'd let her know. She asked whether I'd take charge of church service a week from Sunday ... the first time in a long time. I said that I'd be pleased to do that.

About ten days ago, the guy who oversees some of my mutual funds and I had got together and I filled out a form regarding my investment objectives, risk tolerance, etc. He called later this morning to say that his compliance overseer was displeased with some of the growth objectives that I'd indicated and that, despite his having argued my position for some time, we're to get together to do some reworking, tomorrow (a while after th old farts' coffee hour). I asked him whether there's room on the margins for some extra comments, and he allowed as how, though there is such, that sometimes making use of such opportunities may be more trouble than it's worth.

Anyway - we're to get together tomorrow.

I'm thinking of preparing a treatise to be forwarded to his compliance officer.

Some people do like to disturb the barn-yard by-product occasionally, don't they?

Hope you're all having a great day.

ole joyfuelled ... enjoying his day, thus far ... though it's not quite seedy enough to suit him

Comments (9)