SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahmnj

Last Chance to decide - which sink in island?

Aletia Morgan
12 years ago

Hi all - everyone has been a lot of help during this awful (sort of) process on a new kitchen. I'm sure we've gone off the rails in some ways, but I'm trying not to go further off track.

We decided in the planning to go with a relatively small sink in the island. Our KDesigner ordered a 30" x 18" deep sink base. We knew we didn't have LOTS of space. With the rest of the island components, it adds up to a 36"deep x 63" long island, plus countertop overhangs.

Here's the dilemma - we went with a Ticor main sink, and really liked the Ticor S905 16" round sink in the island. We knew it was a bit tight, but we all thought it could work, including our KD & contractor. Would have to shave/cut the rear of the cab, but not the cab behind. We had seen references of this fitting into an 18" cab, but of course, that was with a normal depth.

Fabricator comes last week, and says no. We're talking Cambria, so it's a strong material. (He annoyed me in other ways, but won't go into that here. Well, I will - I also want a flush edge at the sinks, and he "doesn't do that". )

So - as an insurance policy we had also purchased a S705, which is a smaller rectangular shape. This will clearly fit, but I'm still wondering whether I should push for the larger sink. Does it make sense, or is it visually too much for the size of the island?

Below is a scale diagram I did, showing the different cabinet components, and the two options (noting that the countertop overhang will be 1.75" over the cab edge over the doors, and maybe less at the ends - the 1.75" is also apparently not negotiable).
{{!gwi}}From New Kitchen

I'd appreciate thoughts/recommendations. I still need to visit the shop to approve the layout on the slabs, and if I have to pay them to come out and re-measure for the island, I'd rather do that than wish I had.

Thanks!

Aletia

Comments (6)