SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Anyone care to give me a pep talk?

LCaroline12
10 years ago

I've been lurking and posting here for several months now and I can't say I haven't been warned about the dangers of the "never-ending kitchen remodel"! I read all of your stories, heeded all of your warnings, and had a rock-solid plan that would guarantee that I'd only be without a kitchen for a week, TOPS.

My husband is a row crop farmer in the midst of planting season, so he is working long days now. He is rather handy and can do many things himself, but certain times of the year he just doesn't have the time. Hubs wanted to save a little money and install the appliances, sink, faucet, and move the water line for the dishwasher himself. The contractor agreed he would install the cabinets and countertop. So I planned to avoid a kitchen remodel during planting season by getting all of my cabinets and counters ordered in early February. The contractor (nice guy, not the best communicator) said it would take two weeks to come in, then he could have it all installed within a few days. I was feeling so optimistic about this, but now... two months later my house is still in shambles and it has been a complete nightmare doing this with 18 month old twin toddlers. It took a lot longer for the cabs and counter to come in than he thought, so we really didn't get started until planting season was underway. My cabinets and countertops are installed, but I don't have a sink or dishwasher because I'm waiting for hubby to install them. I am pleading with him to let me pay someone to do it, but he says he'll get to it when it rains. I need a sink! He thinks it's not a big deal to wash dishes in the laundry room. A dishwasher would be nice too! I'm going nuts. I love this man, but Lord he's stubborn. Someone come get me and let's head for the border!

Not really looking for advice, just needed to rant a little. There, I'm feeling much better! It's supposed to rain tonight, so hopefully I can have some reveal pics soon, maybe?

Comments (20)