SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: Asian Chicken Rolls in Puff Pastry - Cuisine

cookingrvc
15 years ago

This recipe appeared December 2008 Cuisine at Home. Tried it this weekend to good reviews however there are some changes that i think would make this a winner.

First, I'd replace the puff pastry with phyllo (fully enclosing the mixture with that flag-folding method. To make the mixture less dense, I'd add a cup or so of finely-chopped Napa cabbage. To punch up the flavor I'd ditch the chili-garlic sauce and add some minced garlic, and perhaps some Worstershire sauce.

I thought perhaps using the open-faced shu mai type presentation might work, but what appealed to me was the use of dough and the fact it is baked so I ditched that idea.

It had a recipe for a dipping sauce but I just made the old stand by of equal parts soy, water and seasoned rice vinegar with some minced garlic and chopped scallions. Now it is entirely possible that it needed the dipping sauce to be great, but i called for plum jam which I didn't have.

Wish I had a picture, as it is what drew me to the recipe.

Here's the recipe without my suggested modifications:

Rolls-

1/3 C. chopped scallions (about 3)

6 T. chopped fresh cilantro, divided (I used all of it since I wasn't making the dipping sauce)

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

2 T. low-sodium soy sauce

1 tsp chili garlic sauce

1 egg - separated

1/2 C. canned water chestnuts, chopped

1 sheet puff pastry

1 tsp. each white and black sesame seeds (I used poppy and white sesame)

Sauce-

1/2 C, plum jam

2 T. lime juice

2 T water

1 T. ketchup

1.4 tsp. each salt and red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mince scallions, add 3 T. cilanto, and ginger in a food processor. Add chicken, soy sauce, chili sauce, and egg white; pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and fold in water chestnuts.

Roll pastry on a floured surface to 14-inch square, then halve lengthwise. Divide chicken mixture between portions of dough , spreading along bottom edge of each piece of pastry. Roll to enclose filling and transfer to prepared baking sheet, seam side down.

Beat yolk with one T water, bruch onto logs, then sprinkle with sesame sees.

Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes, let cool slightly, then slice each log into 1-inch pieces.

Simmer all sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. let cool and add remaining cilantro.

Sue

Comments (8)