SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crescent50

What would you do?

crescent50
15 years ago

After less than 6 weeks on the market we accepted an offer on our house for $5000 below asking price that is contingent on the family selling their home in a neighboring town. The inspection was done for informational purposes only and everything went good. The buyers have right of 1st refusal and the contract must be executed by November 1, 2008.

In the meantime, we can continue to market and show our house. Since then, we have turned down 2 other offers (less money and really quick closing requirement).

Anyway, here is the problem- we just received a full price offer with a closing requirement for August 23rd and the buyers want an inspection. I am concerned that the inspector will say that the home needs a new roof and we would be left to negotiate the price with the buyer so that the price difference between the 2 offers would be eliminated. More importantly, we are building a new home that will not be ready until January and if we accept the new offer, we have to get out quick (6 weeks) and rent for an even longer period of time while we wait for our house.

If it were you, what offer would seem better? I know that in a bad market, accepting a contingency is risky but I am confident that the 1st buyers house will sell and if it takes a few months, that just gives us more time to stay comfortable in our place with 2 young children.

I realize that we are very lucky to have options in such a tough market and I am grateful for the offer but am so unsure about what to do. Besides, I know it is crazy and it makes my husband nuts when I say it but I feel a little committed to the 1st buyers and already feel bad about possibly screwing up their plans. I'm sure I will get killed for this because it is just business but I can't help how I feel.

Any opinions or thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Comments (5)