SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coalaska

*JULY* ufo challenge

coalaska
15 years ago

By UFO, I mean any quilt that you **started** some time ago, but--for whatever reason--put aside and **didn't get it done**.

(Current projects completed in a timely manner deserve to be posted on their own).

The *challenge* is to finish--this month--one of those unfinished quilts hanging over your head. Post your progress here, so we can cheer you on.

This time, IÂll start a separate thread for challenge completion pics, so theyÂre easier to access.

TimeÂs a-wastingÂ1Â2Â3Â GO!

Comments (25)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

I made a Charms on Point top but put it away when I got to the border. Instead of charms, I used 6" novelty squares for an I Spy. I hope to get it completed this month. This was a new technique for me as it was all sewn together as squares and straight, with the (in this case) turquoise squares placed strategically. Then it was cut thru the middle of the turquoise squares, rearranged and sewn back together to get the 'on point' effect and the triangles on the side.

SharonG/FL

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sounds very interesting, Sharon; I can't quite picture the technique, and can't wait to see it. Here we go!

• Related Discussions

What is your earliest spider or UFO?

Q

Comments (7)
    Huben's 2009 intro - Begin With A Bang - has FFO for me here in Ontario (Z4 USA - probably 5 Canada) between June 9 & 19th over the 5 years I've had it. (Usually finishes blooming by July 8-9th) I would suggest that you go back to your source & ask them - IF that's where the mix up occurred. I have quite a few EE's but none are spiders or UF's. I did have one bright cantaloupe orange UF bloom this year earlier than many EE's, however, it was a 2013 delayed scape I believe, as this cultivar (A noid I've had for about 15 years) normally blooms L-VL.
    ...See More

The Spider or UFo you couldn't do without?

Q

Comments (15)
    My personal favorite...so far...is Velvet Ribbons. I also adore Desert Icicle for its 'attitude'...and Magic of Oz is very fine as well. Webster's Pink Wonder should show its promise here next year as last year it was adjusting, I think. I have seen it in a display garden and totally agree it is eye-stopping. There are so many wonderful ones...I've added quite a few through the years as they are just so entertaining. The only Schwarz I have (I think...lol) is Tuxedo Junction...which I bought after being wowed by it in a display garden. Schwarz daylilies are not easy to come by. I also like Gossard's Heavenly Angel Ice. And, don't forget Margo Reed and Jim Murphy's many contributions. Last year, Margo's Flight of Orchids put on such a show. After Awhile Crocodile was one of the last daylilies blooming here. Well, I'm sure I could go on and on...
    ...See More

June ufo Results!

Q

Comments (5)
    Beautiful quilts!!!! I just went to a viewing last night Amy bless you and yours in this hard time. We used to call them wakes and the viewings were about 3 to 4 days and about a total of 5 to 7 days for the entire process. Today it is so fast, and maybe that helps the fam get through the shock and stress. I dunno. Rosa
    ...See More

*JULY* ufo challenge results--pics

Q

Comments (0)
    Join the challenge on the "*JULY* ufo challenge" thread, and once you've completed those pesky ufos, post the pics here. I'm looking forward to them!
    ...See More
  • calliope
    15 years ago

I am finishing up an eighteen year old UFO. It's mine, but it's not mine. LOL. When my dd was still a teenager, she took up quilting. Not under my tutelage I might add. She had just moved out into the world, making her own way, and had more love than money. For my birthday that year, she was going to surprise me with a quilt. It was all done, but several rows around the bottom, and took it home to finish it. I cracked jokes several times about where my quilt was, or that she could cover me up with it when I passed away, as that's when it would probably be finished.

When she was married and moved to England, the quilt went with her to work on. Finally, when I took up quilting, I found out why this had been a project so long in completion. When she started it, she had not the money for batting. She asked me for a blanket, which I thought would be for her house, and I gave to her the thickest, heaviest used one I had. Well, I think by now you are suspecting what the blanket was for. That poor little thing finally told me how many dozens of needles she broke on it. How many leather thimbles she pierced and needles sticks she suffered. I finally offered to finish it off for her, and felt utterly ashamed at my joking.

I got the quilt several months ago and was dreading taking up where she left off. But, it's a beautiful quilt and made with much love and sacrifice. So, I started in on it a week ago. Her needlework is so fine and even the stitches are barely visible. I can't even imagine how she did it!

My stitches are large and sloppy by comparison, and instead of gathering four or five with each needle plunge, I must do it one stitch at a time. But, I am making progress and I will finish this hopefully by month's end so I can display it proudly and cherish it above all the other quilts I own.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

I am hoping to finish the GFG quilt this month and machine quilt my 2007 Birthday Block top. This week, I started yet another quilt, but this is for the Pretty In Pink Challenge due next month. It will be a small baby quilt around 36" square. Should have it done in no time! (I hope)

Calliope, I do one stitch at a time too doing the poke and pull method. What a great story that quilt has. Be sure to document that on the label!

Rebecca

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calliope, that is a great story.
    Rebecca, I'm going to be working on my 2007 bday block quilt this month, too.
    I'm off to start--you have inspired me just by posting.
    Cheryl

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Cheryl, You almost have to see a picture of the pattern to understand how it works. I had to print it out, cut and put the paper pieces back together to figure out how to put the fabric back together after I cut it....there were only 4 pieces, but it was strange. I have a small border on it now and as it's almost 60" X 82", I think that's as big as I want it to be.

Great story, Calliope.

Rebecca, I have a GFG I need to complete, too....maybe next month. @:)

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    15 years ago

Well, this makes the second quilt in a row I am finishing I didn't start. I just want to do the important ones first, before I get caught up with starting any new ones. I have one UFO of my own, as well. When I do get this one done, you can be sure I'll post a pic of it.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Okay,okay, I pulled out my quilt top I started last summer, playing around with strings. I had a specific idea for the borders that was holding me up, but I've adjusted and have started on the borders tonight. Hopefully I can finish it by the end of the month!

• miscindy
    15 years ago

I'm going to finish that car quilt for dh that I began last summer!!

• karpet
    15 years ago

Progress update: I finished the paper piecing pieces last night for what will be the corners of my borders, so tonight I hope to put them together into finished blocks and start on the middle part of the borders. That paper piecing takes me a long time!

• bug_girl
    15 years ago

I was thinking it was UFO quilts as in flying saucers. It would be fun to see them. They would have to be applique, but I can't do machine applique. It's just too hard.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I went to finally sandwich my quilt, and decided it needs an additional border. That means my backing isn't big enough... I pressed the fabric for the border, will cut it out tonight, possibly stitch it on, and sandwich tomorrow (which means I need to find/make a new backing).

Way to go, karpet!
    miscindy, looking forward to seeing your car quilt :)
    calliope, geezerfolks, cannahavanna, how is it going?

We still half the month to go!

• calliope
    15 years ago

I'm sticking with it, but it's going slow and tediously now that I am at the unfinished corners. There is a little flare to the quilted layer and I'm having to ease it in and I'm not the most skillful of hand sewers. I have been leaving it out on the dining table so that it's handy, and numerous times in the day when I sit down to take a break from my chores shall finish off a seam or two. Still hoping to make it done by month's end and think it could happen!

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

I have 8 more flowers to go on my GFG that takes around an hour to hand quilt each one. Still need to work on my pretty in pink quilt too.

I just come back from a two day backpacking trip in the Unicoi Mountains (just south of the Smoky Mountains) with my son's boyscout troop and my legs are really sore today. It's been a good 13 years since I have done something that strenuous, but it was an awesome trip with wonderful views and I had fun identifying the wild flowers along the trail. We had an encounter with a black bear on our way out yesterday. We were able to scare him away. I was never afraid but in awe of being that close. Then, we had to keep looking over our shoulders for awhile to make sure he wasn't following us! We also had wild boar visit us in our campsite after we went to our tents for the night. They didn't do anything, just checked us out.

• karpet
    15 years ago

calliope - wow, that must be something quilting through that thickness, hang in there!
    cannahavana - How many flowers will there be in your GFG? What direction do you press the seams? (I have one in my UFO pile, but need to get gumption up to start on it again and finish it.

I'm embarassed to say that I've hit a mental block on my UFO borders - still have 3 pieces left to attatch to the paper-pieced blocks. Not sure why I don't just 'git 'er done!' but I think it is guilt about not keeping up with my regular cleaning. If the cleaning is done then I can have guilt-free sewing.

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

DH isn't well, so too many trips to doctors, etc., but I am going to be reading this thread with interest.

Calliope: What a touching story. Show us a pic when it's done!

Sharon: I'm dying to see a picture of that quilt! You ARE going to show us, right?

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Jan, I hope DH gets better soon!

Karpet, I believe there are 36 flowers in mine. When I basted the edges around the hexagon shape, the seam is finger pressed open when the hexagons are attached to each other.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

homestretch!

We have 3 days left of July.

(eek! I've got some work to do...)

How are we doing, quilters?

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Well, all of mine don't classify as UFO's but I finished a quilt for my nieces wedding which is in 3 weeks. I had a quilt top that wasn't quite right and I put a childrens piece of flannel on the back and donated it to the ambulance and then I made a small baby blanket for a new great niece which was a piece of novelty sandwiched to a piece of flannel. I also cut out the pieces for a nieces graduation quilt. Now I need to get back to some of the other UFO's which really were never started but I bought the fabric for a reason!!! Deanna

• karpet
    15 years ago

Well, I got my borders put together and sewed on last night - not real thrilled with the outcome so far, but it's not over till it's over! My in-laws are coming the end of the week, so everything needs to be put away till they are gone.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

I just have another couple of flowers to quilt and I will be done...with that part :). I am quilting and appliqueing at the same time and will have the main star done by the end of the month. Then, I will take it out of the frame and reclaim the living room while I stitch down the edges of the applique. Then I will do some more applique between the star points and finish up the quilting in the open spaces.

star before quilting

• calliope
    15 years ago

It's not going to happen here. :-( Got sidetracked with obligations for the last two weeks, and haven't touched it. But, I'm far enough done with it, h'ain't no new quilts getting started until this one is finished. So, thanks for the incentive because it WILL finally get finished.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Cannahavana - That is beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Well, I've been busy quilting (a lap size, a table runner, a table topper and a zippered bag/purse), but so far, don't have the UFO done....I did work on it and hope to sew on it tomorrow. Maybe I can at least get the backing sewn on and birthed.

Jan, Sorry your DH is unwell, hope he's better by now. Yes, I'll post a pic when it's ready.

Canna, Gorgeous!!

SharonG/FL

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rebecca, so beautiful! I love purples.

Jan, hope dh is doing better.

~sigh~ it's 9pm and with company, baseball (every day!), karate, travel, the beach, our anniversary, running, etc...it looks like I won't finish a monthly ufo for the first time this year. I could stay up and finish it, but have to pack/get ready for a weekend conference; we leave at 7am tomorrow. Still may work on it... just getting ds to bed...

Please post to the other thread any you've done! I'll cheer you on :)

Cheryl

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County