SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klimkm

home value: tax assessor $ vs. asking price

klimkm
16 years ago

I have a question: If the tax assessor says your house is worth a certain amount in appraised value - do you sell it for what the tax assessor determines it is worth. Or what comps say (this is what I thought)? Or whatever you feel like asking?

For instance:

Here are some appraised values of houses in our area - and following is what they are on the market for. these particular houses are NOT selling and have been on the market for months.

$121,000 - on market for $139,000

$157,000 - on market for $250,000

$206,000 - on market for $267,000

$126,000 - on market for $225,000

There are dozens like this... I suspect house flippers are at work here.

The tax assessor has said our property has appraised at $350,000. And that is about what I think we could get for it, and we would likely put it on the market for that price due to a slowing market.

Looking at the prices that are being asked for these other neighbhood properties I am confused as to what our property is actually worth? How accurate is your tax assessor in judging actual value?

Our tax assessor re-values every year I am told. So these are from 2006 assessments. Just wondering what it is like in your area? Have the flippers messed up values in your markets?

Comments (10)