SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Another 'easier way' I discovered for Peek-a-Boos

biwako_of_abi
16 years ago

You all may be thinking that I have I-Spies on the brain! But actually, I am beginning to replace them with Stack n Whacks. It's something like a song that keeps running through your head. Get a new one in there to drive out the old. lol

Make putting the circles together in a row faster:

You'd think by now I should be doing everything the most efficient way there is, seeing as how this is my 3rd P-a-B quilt! But no. It just struck me (as I was pinning 10 circles together for the 7th row of a 14-row quilt) that it is stupid to keep stabbing through the sewing line I drew for this purpose and adjusting and adjusting the other circle until the pin goes through the sewing lines on both circles AND the end points of the lines match up. No, all I need to do is stick pins perpendicularly (perpendicular to the surface of the fabric) right where the sewing lines hit the very edge of each side of the circles, and hold the pins perpendicular until I have pinned along the sewing line. Doing it this way, the pins invariably line up along the sewing lines on both circles.

Others--especially those who, unlike me, are able to make perfectly round lined circles--probably have been doing it this way all along and are laughing. That's fine. We need laughs now!

As I sat there, enjoying my new method, it also occurred to me that I was crazy to try to line my square template up on the straight of goods when marking the sewing lines on the linings of the circles. I always did work on the straight of the goods as much as possible so that I wouldn't get stretching and folding when sewing down the flaps in the final stage of the quilt. However, the extra trouble it takes to stitch the flaps well is nothing compared to the trouble you get if the row of circles doesn't come out right.

If the flap sections are on the bias, that means you can stretch them a bit and ease in any extra length in that sewing line, and you'll have a better chance of the rows of circles fitting together without any great "miss-matches in the corners of the squares you get on the back of the quilt.

So from now on, I will match the weave of the circle backs and their linings, but I will not align the square template with the weave; on the contrary, I will probably aim at bias flap-folds.

Comments (5)