SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bitsya

Advice needed: getting house ready to go on the market

bitsya
9 years ago

Hello all--I have read here for years but rarely posted...now I'm helping a friend get her house ready to go on the market & could really use some help!

I will try to link to some photos of the house; will say at the outset these are not good pictures but wanted to give some kind of idea of what we're working with. We've painted in neutrals throughout, replaced all the door hardware, and changed out all the light fixtures. Etc. Etc. https://www.flickr.com/photos/39691333@N00/sets/72157645747943653/

The house was built in 1985 & has been very well maintained.

However-- we know kitchens & bathrooms sell houses--and we've got a kitchen & 2 bathrooms that have not been updated. The kitchen is the biggie--dark cabinets that are not "all that", appliances that are 20 plus years old but still in excellent working order, countertops that have been there since 1985. And a green vinyl floor (also in excellent condition.) The photo is of the kitchen as it is now in process of being painted--if you look at the linked photos, at the end of the album I included two that I photoshopped with tile floor & darkened cabinets.

Money is tight, as is time. We are "refreshing" the bathrooms--painting the vanities, installing new faucets, light fixtures, etc.

But this kitchen just does not "go" with the rest of the house. What would you all do with it? We are wondering/hoping that installing a tile floor (much lighter than the dark green) would help it turn the corner. And maybe darkening the cabinets? We've considered painting the cabinets white--however, in the kitchen & breakfast area the trim is stained dark--which would complicate this idea. The photo is of the kitchen as it is now--if you look at the linked photos, at the end of the album I included two that I photoshopped with tile floor & darkened cabinets.

Will really appreciate any input/help/comments!

Here is a link that might be useful: House photos

Comments (19)