SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatwater

Kitchen remodeling

flatwater
13 years ago

Help!

This Monday, we are embarking on a kitchen relocation and remodeling project. We have never remodeled nor built a home. So, this is our first major step towards creating havoc in our lives.

About 8 or so years ago, my wife insisted that I take a day of vacation so that we could spend some time together. As things turned out, I took vacation, but she was unable to in the last minute.

I decided to go explore and found this gorgeous property, 14 acres on the Tennessee river, with a reasonable cottage like home. The cut a long story short, I was able to persuade my wife to sell our home with her "dream kitchen" and buy this dream property with a nice, but rather inconvenient, home. The home was previously owned by a bachelor who did not do any cooking and so had a rather small kitchen as part of the great room.

I promised my wife that we will remodel the kitchen to her satisfaction and here we are 8 years later, getting ready to do it. In the meantime, we spend a lot of time anguishing about whether to build a McMansion or leave the home as it is, like a cottage, and just relocate and remodel the kitchen within the existing foot print.

We have a reputable builder, who reluctantly agreed to do this remodeling for us as a friend, since he does not take on remodeling projects.

Our appliances are ordered, the cabinets are ordered. On Monday, they start ripping out the tiles that is currently in place where the new kitchen is going to be, so that they can put hardwood floors.

We are hoping that the project will be a 4-6 weeks job. However, we are already late by a few weeks to start the project. So, who knows.

Sometimes, we wish we had just sold the home and bought a new house with the conveniences. However, it is hard to find acreage on the lake and so we decided to stay put.

Help, we need to advise to cope with the remodeling project, keep our life together, and have an end product that makes my wife happy.

Thank you so much for your advise.

Comments (16)