SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Girls with Goals/Quilting Related

redpenny
16 years ago

Okay this is for lyndawn and all other quilters! Forming a group to help motivate each other to get some projects done, finish some UFO's or WIPs.We are Girls with Goals!

Rules

You must post everyweek what you have done.

Pics would be great!

It is up to you to name the projects you want to complete!

Okay who's in............if they bump this we will pick it up in the Conversation Area but since this is quilting related and perhaps need ideas or sugesstions or help on a project I don't know why it would be bumped!

Red

Comments (56)

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

Are we shooting for Fridays as the completion day to meet our goals, post achievement (or not) and to set a new goals???
    Sounds like fun I need someone/something to keep me motivated. I AM IN!!!

My goals for this weekend/week is to add border to the quilt that I pieced together this week for our family reunion, purchase batting, backing and get it sandwiched. Second goal is to get my August blocks completed and in the mail to Red.

Marty

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I will add 2 or 3 more rows of circles to the Peek-a-Boo quilt I am making, and put the novelty pictures inside at least 2 rows of them and stitch down the flaps. It is taking me longer to stitch the flaps this time because the person the quilt is going to wants it to be reversible, so I can't clip the thread ends very short, and that leaves me handstitching them to make sure they won't come out.

What I WANT to be doing, however, is working on my first stack n whack, the pieces for which I already have all cut!

• Related Discussions

Girls with Goals 7-13 to 7-20

Q

Comments (20)
    I'm getting side tracked!! I'm supposed to be sandwiching my quilt...but, instead, I finished a sweatshirt jacket (pix posted in message on board), made 16 string patches for a baby quilt, cleaned up the sewing room (a bit), sorted through bunches of fabric pieces my mom gave me..and finished my blocks for the block lotto. I'm getting things done...but not what I set goals for! Hmmmph. I truly wanted to start a purse with a new pattern I got, too...but I talked myself out of it. Just can't get in the groove this week end. Well, I do have the rest of the week to sandwich the quilt. Woodsy
    ...See More

Girls with Goals. UFO's still live! 08/27 - 09/2

Q

Comments (18)
    I am at the point that I want this baby blanket done and out of my life so I can move on to something that is fun. I have to have it done by Tuesday morning. I finished the hand quilting several days ago. I still need to take the pins out, press the wrinkles out, square it up and do the binding. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed thinking there is too much still a lot to do on a project (even if there isnt). When I think of the blanket and all the work still to do it stops me in my tracks. I have been doing anything but work on it. So I am going to only look at part of what I need to do on it instead of the entire blanket. Make it into several smaller projects. All I need to do today is unfold it, just kidding. All I need to do today is take the pins out and press it. I have been talking out loud to, so thank you for listening. Suellen
    ...See More

Girls with Goals for 09/17 - 09/23 Mission Accomplished

Q

Comments (10)
    Got Keisha's "Princess" quilt finished-YEAH! Will try to post a pic sometime this week. Also got Candace's top finished but there's a problem. The top won't stay flat. It was okay before I added the borders. Thanks for keeping me on track, suellen. Now, as someone else once said on one of these posts--if only I could get on track with other non-quilting areas. Oh well, the important stuff is getting done,LOL....Geraldine
    ...See More

Girls with Goals for 09/24 - 09/30 Set a Goal for that UFO!

Q

Comments (13)
    My goal is to finish the PaB I-spy, provided that the squares come in the next day or two. If they don't, no problem: I will have the goal of finishing the second row of blocks and sashing for the "green tea" pattern quilt I am making with a "fishy" batik print and beige and blue fabrics. I couldn't find out where this pattern came from; just saw a picture of a quilt someone had made by that name and loved it and copied it.
    ...See More
  • fran1523
    16 years ago

I'm in even though I don't have too many UFO's sitting around. I was very productive this week and have 11 blocks finished for a lap quilt I'm making completely out of my stash. My goal for this week will be to finish the 12th block and put the top together. I am going to be out of town 3 out of 7 days so I think that's enough for this week. My biggest goal is to use up substantial portions of my stash. Here's a picture of blocks in progress.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    16 years ago

Good Lord, I just did a quick inventory and have no less than 10, yes TEN started quilt projects! What on earth am I thinking?! I'm embarrassed.

This week I will get at least one quilt more than 50% finished.

Are we posting pictures of what we're working on or everything we've got?

Dianne

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Dianne, I think you should be committed. Oh the shame!

I have three completed tops ready to be quilted, just can't decide on a pattern. Two laps size and a baby.

I love UFOs so much that I have even offered to work on someone else's UFO that I hope to have done by the end of next week ;)

Rebecca

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

My goal for this week is to try (I said try) to do free-motion quilting on a quillow that I made. Going away next weekend, so I hope I can get something done on it as well as getting ready to go away.

Geri

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dianne,
    share the load LoL yes we are going to post pics..you can show us 1 or all!
    Red

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

My goals are to:

1. Hand applique at least 1 dresden plate (I have 3 large & 8 small to do)

2. Cut, sew, & flip more apple core units.

3. Service a free sewing machine I picked up today and see if it can actually work. Then determine what to do with it.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Here are my UQO's (un-quilted objects)

$350 quilt

B-day block quilt I posted the other day

Breast cancer quilt for Lynn's guild auction. The white areas have the word "love" all over it and is baby size. I may just send it on to Lynn with the backing and let them quilt it.

• bonnie_nmi
    16 years ago

This thread came along just in time!! I loaded my son's wedding quilt on my Grace Pro this afternoon. The wedding is two weeks from today. Until now, I have only done crib and youth size quilts on my frame, so this 100" X 110" top will be a real challenge. My goal is to have it ready to bind, if not totally finished, by next Friday. Wish me luck!!

Bonnie

• katy122
    16 years ago

It's really terrible when you have so many UFO's or WIP's and now I have to choose which one to finish first???Oh dear ....which one?? the butterfly one...wish me luck....talk at you friday....Sue

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Diane,

Don't feel embarrassed. I have at least 10 WIPs to finish. I also have at least 6 more projects with fabric and pattern picked out.

I will:

Finish my Bunk Mates quilt top (except for border-have to get fabric)

Add borders to two other tops and they will be ready to quilt.

Take my aunts quilt into work to work on quilting it. My mother and I are going to work together on this quilt because it is just so awful...LOL I will finish 2 blocks a week on this quilt as I only work 1 and half days a week there.

Thanks Red for pulling this together for me:) I definately NEED it...LOL I have 9 twin size quilts I want to finish by Christmas and I do all handquilting.

Lets Work Together in this Ladies and knock 'em out!!!!!

Lynette

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

This week, I want to work on my family reunion signature wallhanging....finish the sashings (my first try) and put the border on, then sandwich.

Red...this is a great idea!!
    Woodsy

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I'm in. I have at least five WIPs going at last count. I will try to have one that is pieced sandwiched and quilted by next Friday. No guaranteeing a binding but who knows. I love this idea and thank you, Red.

I'd send pictures but I still haven't figured out how to do that. The links seem to all refer to the internet. Am I supposed to put the picture somewhere else and link to it? You all do it so well and I feel a bit behind.

Linda

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Hey girls. In my opinion, if you haven't started cutting, it's not a UFO. We're going after those lost sets of blocks that are partially done. Ideas are just ideas until you put rotary cutter to fabric.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

OH NO!!! I just looked at my posted picture...and I put the bottom row on upside down!!!! Dang it! Now I have to add tearing that row off and re-sewing it to my goals. SIGH...like I said, I've done nothing right on this project.
    Woodsy

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

I listed my goal earlier so here is the picture of my WIP.

The center block originally was like the others but I changed it to accomondate the embroidery block that I added, it looks like it say Wear Family 2007, I should have added more spacing in the wording it's actually We Are Family 2007

Marty (Missouri)

{{!gwi}}

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Toolgranny, yes, you put it elsewhere on the Internet. I am about to send you a detailed explanation through GW email. Let me know if you don't get it.
    Jan

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay here is a pic of all my blocks for the wallhanging DH does not want a house in the middle LOL the blocks are a little wrinkled from my furbabies running and jumping and grabbing them LOL...
    The more I look at this I don't think I want to make this into a wallhanging,,,,Also what color border would you do?
    I am also going to lay these out another way and see how it looks....I also thought perhaps since DH doesn't want the house that maybe I could use a dark border and perhaps add some kitty appliques to it ?

Red

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Red,
    I miss the house; I really liked it that way. I'm not sure about the border. I think it really could go any color that is in it. I would probably do a double or triple though.

Ok, I have a question. How do you figure out the math for a quarter square triangle block? i think I want to put some in my border for this quilt. I made the almost all of the quilt out of fat eighths so I don't have enough of any one color for a border. If I don't use scraps I will have to wait until I get somewhere to buy some fabric for it.

Lynette

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynn is here is a link to QST

Here is a link that might be useful: QST

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

Nice quilt Red. I like Lyndawn's suggestion of multiple borders. It looks like your sashing has black in it, what a about a narrow first border of solid black, followed by a little wider medium pink border and finally a little wider final border of the dark color sashing. JMHO

Marty (Missouri)

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I still deciding I know DH doesn't like the house but I do so I am still deciding on what to do.I was Thinking on perhaps still doing the house and then the colors I do the house I use as the border.....not sure yet!

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

It takes so long for me to load a pic I didn't want to do it until I was finished. But, I have a solution!!!

This is a pic of the same quilt. The only difference is that I am doing opposite colors for this one. I did get the top about half way done last night. I doubt I will be able to sew tonight though.

{{!gwi}}

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I'm not even thinking how many UFOs I have but I will finish my crayon kittie quilt by next Friday..I'm also working on a cross stitched wedding sampler that has to be done for a wedding in Oct., does that count? This is a great idea, Red....
    Dorothy

• polardream
    16 years ago

Okay, okay ... you all are making great progress! my goals will have to be smaller ... I tied a denim & corduroy lap/picnic throw and need to finish the binding. I will get it done before next Friday.
    I will work on flying geese border for quilt in progress (still have 2 more borders after that to add ...)
    Sue

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay I am doing the house LOL but I have to hunt for fabric..
    Red

• User
    16 years ago

I dragged out my Happy Scrappy quilt blocks last night, determined to at least finish putting the background triangles on each. Well, I'm happy to report I not only finished but got them all pressed, trimmed and arranged. DH likes the way they look without the sashing and cornerstones so now it's just a matter of sewing the rows together and picking border and backing fabrics. Yay for me! Looking at all the blocks laid out I see I went a bit lime-green mad.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's another WIP--many of the leaves still need the edges appliqued. It's a wallhanging wannabe for autumn.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's the purple quilt I started a few weeks ago in a flourish of motivation and energy for a friend of my son's who'll be getting married next May. Three rows done and all the cornerstone rows. Not too bad.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's my due-to-arrive-in-October granddaughter's neon I Spy quilt. Note the paper pieced letters spelling Emma's name. That PP hurts my brain! All ready for the longarm quilter. Backing is bright orange.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Rest of the projects are not sewn enough to show but are cut and waiting patiently. Some nights I hear them whisper my name in loneliness, beconing me to take them to visit their friend, the sewing machine. Alas, all must wait their turns.

Dianne/dian57

• judylee59
    16 years ago

Hello! First let me say eveyone's pictures are beautiful! So much inspiration!! dian57-the house blocks are way cute! I'm setting some "little" goals for this week and next. I have my 30th high school reunion this coming weekend (Yikes) and then I'm going on vacation. So my goals for this week: post a picture of a tote bag I just finished, cut and mail my I Spy blocks, get my fabric ready for the Christmas swap, and check my birthday block list to see what's coming up next. Enjoy the weekend- JudyLee

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Some lovely projects you all have going, and I like that I-Spy, Dianne, especially the bold "Emma".

• User
    16 years ago

Oooh Dian, I love your quilts. I especially want to see the purple one finished. What kind of border are you going to put on it?

Red, does finishing my sewing room count? I'm right in the middle of painting it, is that a WIP? lol

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dianne,
    I love your scrappy houses I have been saving up doing those for a quilt.I also love your leaves....everyone has some great pics keep them coming!
    Red

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I started a wall hanging using this picture of my baby goat.

She has a mouth and nose. My goal is to give her one side of her face.
    My other goal is to put the binding around a small wall hanging that has been
    sitting around for about 3 years. I am talking about maybe 1-2 hours to finish this UFO.
    Suellen

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Marty..I love your sig quilt!! that turned out great!
    love all the other project pix too!

So far...I fixed the row sewn on wrong, finished the sashings and added the border. Soooooo, now I'm takin' a break...checkin out the forum....drinkin an Exotic Berry wine cooler and eatin chips n dip! LOL. life is good...
    Woodsy

• User
    16 years ago

Okay, now I really have gone over the edge. In this afternoon's mail was an invitation to my DIL's sister's baby shower on August 5th (nothing like a bit of notice, right?). It's my 29th wedding anniversary and we'll be away so I won't be able to go.

But, I did want to make something for the mom-to-be and remembered the 9 to 4 block directions posted by ngmnewlywed awhile back.

Here's what I did this afternoon (does this count as #11?):
    {{!gwi}}

Dianne (looking for my darning foot and a gift bag)

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

What gorgeous colors! I am very partial to the 9-4 pattern, too. Beautiful work.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Wow, this is turning into a real show and tell. Keep up coming girls.

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Ok I need some advice on borders. I have some 1 1/2" strips left from this and some extra block (ok I admit it, I can't count). On one of them, I actually added 4 extra rows somehow without realizing it.

i thought about putting the strips on and using QST and some of the other extra fabrics for the border. What do you all suggest. Oh I think I will add some kind of borde in there also with the white fabric with yellow flowers.

Here are the pics. I like the second one better.

{{!gwi}}

Sorry the second was taken sideways but I was standing on the counter in my bedroom. It happens to be on the side of my bed. I couldn't find anything else to stand on and I'm not tall enough to get a good pic...LOL

Lynette

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Okay , Iam in too, have 2 lap size quilt tops to quilt and a baby quilt to make so I think this week I will quilt one of the lap quilt
    betty

• ironkit
    16 years ago

Lynette - I'd use a border of one of the colors in the 9-patch for both quilts, if you have enough. I like the idea of QST as the corners. They're lovely quilts.

Dianne - Holy COW! That's a lot of projects, and a lot of pretty! I love the I-spy, especially the EMMA. My favorite block is the lemons; they look so real.

~ Kit

• tuppermom
    16 years ago

I am in too. I didn't see this post before I posted the pic of my siggy quilt and intentions to finish a baby quilt and the binding on another thread. I will post pictures at the end of the week showing my progress.
    Great post Red...thanks!

Mary

• User
    16 years ago

I don't know how I missed all the other pics the first time I posted here. I thought dian was the only one with pics. cannahavana, tell me about your $350 quilt. It is really pretty.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

I hope this idea is still around when I get back home in Sept as I have a few UFO's that I really should finish.

SharonG/FL

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Well Sharon, I know I won't be done with mine by then...LOL

If we have to we can do it just the two of us, but I think there will be lots of us still around just because it is fun:)

Lynette

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

This afternoon I've been working on getting my Sunny Lanes quilt blocks together. It has not been all smooth sailing. :o(

Here is a pic of one WIP: my first redwork piece, a small wall hanging for me of sewing related blocks; I hand embroidered the blocks and set them in red dot fabric; I do plan to add backing and batting and hand quilt in the blocks.

{{!gwi}}

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Marti, the $350 quilt was originally posted by Teresa. She had seen a quilt in a catalog that cost $350, decided to replicate the simple design in pink fabrics and it cost considerably less than $350. :) I think there are a couple of us that made one. All it contains are 8" pinwheel blocks or 4" half-square triangles with a flying geese border. I think I have spent a total of $50 on mines, backing, batting and all! It is 62" square.

Rebecca

• dragongoddess
    16 years ago

One of our fine ladies pointed me here from the conversation page when I asked what I missed while I was away. I think it is a great Idea.

This week I WILL!

1) Get caught up on Birthday Blocks (other forum) and
    start on August blocks.
    2) Finish July BOM, start extra block, and start piecing
    top!
    3) Wash new BOM fabric so it is ready for the next round.
    4) Start baby quilts for Hannah(due October) and Sarah
    (Born June 26)
    5) Buy/find a rubbermaid to store project linus quilts in
    between drop off/pickup - call pickup lady and get more
    labels - also ask her if it is ok to put up pics of
    blankets as some are beautiful!

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

Today I DID get the binding on one runner. I have four that are unfinished. Hope to get one more done this week. I did FM quilting on it though and am less than happy with the quilting job. I sure have trouble with FM. Sometimes I feel that I have ruined my project.

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

I am going to add to my list. I am going to TRY to get some of the borders on my just finished top and it sister. I have to go through the scraps and see if I have enough to make some sort of scrappy border. I have some ideas so we will see if they can be done. When I took both quilts out i realized that the first one I did I put 4 extra rows on it without noticing....LOL I guess I can't count to 12 anymore.

My aunts quilt was taken in to work so it will be worked on Wed and Sat when I work.

Lynette

• User
    16 years ago

I'm going to join in. While cleaning out my stuff, I found UFO's I didn't even remember starting.

I have a doll's quilt from a quick tricks class, a Jacob's ladder, a mystery quilt from here, a quilt in a day that obviously wasn't, a 9 square, and an Oriental fan.

I started on the doll's quilt today.