SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

How have your preferences changed over the years?

16 years ago

When I first started out, I was cutting up old shirts and sewing only 90 degree angles. In the last few years, I am doing more and more hand work, and this year I have started to applique by hand. I am loving it!

I think my fabric purchases have become more sophisticated. Rather than just grab whatever attracts my eye, I assemble collections of fabrics that "go together," and I am working at filling in gaps in my stash. Fabrics and colors I once thought hideous are finding their way into my finished quilts.

I have always loved to use as many fabrics as possible. The scrappier, the better. I notice that I gravitate toward traditional quilts and softer floral fabrics, but I have also decided that I want to make a bright, perky 30's nine patch on point, and have started piecing that one. I might even give it an applique border.

I also want to make some I-spy quilts, just for fun. We don't have any kids of our own, but I want to make one for myself and one for hubby, using fabrics that picture some of our favorite things. I also want to make a few for charity. The local quilt guild has befriended/adopted a safe house, and channel all their charity efforts into supplying quilts for the families that go through the program. I would like very much to make some quilts and give them to the safe house.

So, to sum things up, while I am getting more and more traditional in my tastes, somehow, I also am more willing to go outside my comfort zone--and I like the results when I do. My color choices used to be very safe, perhaps boring. Now they're getting more bold and interesting at the same time.

For those of you who have been quilting long enough to be able to make a determination, how have your preferences changed over the years?

Comments (23)