SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleepy33

Just bought first house...kitchen makeover

sleepy33
13 years ago

Hi everyone! My husband and I have just signed the contract on our first house. The kitchen is pretty much untouched since it was built in 1966. We plan to re-model it in stages. To begin with, I plan to paint out the old, banged-up cabinets in white, which will help the white appliances to blend in (not crazy about the white appliances, but they are staying so I'm making the most of it). Planning to also replace the countertop & backsplash fairly soon.

My real question is what to do with the layout of the kitchen in the long-term. There is a lot of space and options, which is good, but it's got my head spinning a bit. There is hardly any countertop space currently, and not a ton of cabinet space, either (at least for me, I am a kitchen gadget nut, and have a ton of stuff). My first thought was to do a large island with barstools on one side. But there is this large, blank wall that is just begging for...something. The other side of the wall is the living room next to the foyer. One obvious idea is to do some type of a half-wall between the kitchen and living room, to open things up more. Drawbacks to that are that a. I'm not sure it can even be done; I suspect there may be some ductwork running through there and b. you'd be looking straight into the kitchen from the front door. I'd really appreciate any ideas, comments, thoughts, etc. Oh, and the overall dimensions of the kitchen are 12x14. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• kathylquiltz
    13 years ago

I don't have any remodeling suggestions to offer you. There are many in this forum who excel at it. Just wanted to congratulate you on your new purchase....it has tons of potential! Enjoy!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

Hooray! Congrats on your house. I think your idea for painting the cabinets is a good one. I think a creamy white would brighten the room a lot.

If you could post a sketch of the current floor plan, that would help with getting the ideas flowing.

• Related Discussions

Finished: thynes' Budget Beach House Kitchen

Q

Comments (37)
    Just an update: Not exactly BHG or Houzz, but our vacation home is featured in the winter edition of a local home improvement/design magazine, Home & Cabin. The print edition is on local newsstands now, but in time the article and pictures will be posted on their website. I'll provide a link when it appears. For those interested, the magazine website is linked below. It has some nice articles, DIY tips, etc. as well as an archive of some interesting homes and cabins from past issues. Here is a link that might be useful: Home & Cabin Magazine
    ...See More

Old house kitchen renovation for rental unit

Q

Comments (28)
    If it has original cabinetry and you ripped it out to put in Big Box boring or that gawd awful Ikea ....... well let's just say I would not buy it when you go sell without a HUGE price reduction or escrowed funds to track down vintage cabinetry appropriate to the house. No house in our family was built before 1927. You CAN fit in a dishwasher -go for compact. You can fit in a microwave - get one that attaches to the bottom of the cabinets over the counter. And do save every cabinet door your remove. (1) next to the stove. Get an old 1900-1930 dresser. Paint it to match. Pick up some old marble top from an architectural salvage. Ditto find an upper cabinet at architectural salvage. Attach the micro wave under the cabinet and over the counter. (2) Next to the fridge - move it to the wall? DO the same thing with a small stand. Alternatively frame in a pantry cabinet and get an vintage door from architectural salvage. (3) Keep the appliances white - period appropriate. Stainless steel is the fad du jour - just like the avocado and harvest gold were in the 60s and 70s (and will be considered as -oh-so-passé-tacky in the not-too-far-future the way the fad of the 60s/70s is considered now.) Stainless with period cabinetry is like an 80 year dowager in a mini-skirt. (4) SInk - hit the architectural salvage and get a porcelain over cast iron. (5) Counter Would have been linoleum (linoleum - not laminate) or wood, 2 options that would cost less than period linoleum. First just do a laminate that looks like marble. Passable for a rental. If the counter run is as short as it seems, try Lumber Liquidators for butcher block counter lengths. Not the best but okay for this.
    ...See More

In need of layout help for beach house kitchen...

Q

Comments (12)
    I got something different each time I counted the squares, so I gave up)) Just posting another idea, assuming that you have 90" on the bedroom wall and 11' b/w the exterior wall and the laundry. I'm thinking 12" angled shelves b/w the exterior wall and the range and 6" open shelves for cutting boards on the other side. If o/h is 1" that would give you 47" b/w the peninsula and the exterior wall. The cab in the corner faces the laundry. On the peninsula, next to the corner open shelf for trays, cooking sheets, then drawers, I think the trash can be under the sink. You can have a 12" pull out for pantry storage next to the fridge, but it will probably be cheaper to have a broom closet there. On the other side, MW is on an upper shelf. I have pantry and a drop zone (hoping that door swing direction can be changed), where you now have the sink+DW.
    ...See More

Bought a carwash - needs a makeover.

Q

Comments (43)
    Here are some rough mockups of the color concepts I've created so it's easier to visualize Sheri! Version 1: Version 2 (slightly darker turqouise): Any news on your final decision Sheri? Would love to also see after photos of what you ended up deciding..! Attached is my mock-up using the turqoise, yellow and the mid-gray walls. The yellow trash bins, the turquoise roof with "water works" logo and the yellow awning with the gray text and a matching yellow office door. Simple and inexpensive, stands out from the Road. You can buy the trash bins on houzz.
    ...See More
  • jakabedy
    13 years ago

The first advice anyone in a new home usually gets is to just live with it for a year or more before making any big changes. That way you can see how the space really functions. Things that are bothering you now may seem practical after some time, and vice versa. So your idea of a quick paintjob and a new countertop and backsplash will liven things up while you're making bigger plans.

I see what you mean about the wall where the kitchen table is now. It is just screaming out for cabinets or counterspace, but that won't work given the current cabinet layout and the locations of the doors into the room. A portable island should help you in the interim.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

If you paint the cabinets white, the floor is going to look dingy. Assuming there's no need to replace it right now, why not paint the cabinets a color you like (there are a lot of good pictures in threads here of sage green, light yellow, blue, grey, etc. cabinets)? I mean a color you like that goes with the floor; everything goes with white so don't worry about that.

Lovely sage green kitchen:
    http://thefairyandthepumpkin.typepad.com/.a/6a01348365848c970c0148c85da952970c-pi

Several yellow and/or green kitchens:
    http://artheartandhome.blogspot.com/2009/04/sunshine-daisies-butter-mellow.html

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I also think you need to paint the cabinets a color that YOU like. White will not work, IMHO,

The easiest and cheapest way too add counter space and storage in these older homes is to buy some free standing island from Ikea for a few hundred $ to add function temporarily... Is that double door kitchen pantry? If that is a pantry, you should not be lacking in storage...

• cplover
    13 years ago

Sleepy33- Your kitchen and house remind me a lot of mine!! It may help to post a first floor layout so that people can get a better idea of flow. I have attached a link to my house. It will be excited to see what you come up with! Because I was in your shoes 3 years ago. Hopefully it does not take you as long to get the kitchen you desire! Also if you are not fond of white, I think a light grey would look really pretty with all the white appliances. Sarah Ricardson just did a grey kitchen. I am sure someone here has photos. Best of Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: [My house[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/bar-stools-what-style-what-finish-what-size-stsetivw-vs~327725?utm_campaign=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery2&d=2&w=49420)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I agree with posters above.
    My first kitchen was about the same size. If you can add a counter hight island or table, you will get the function you need. Personally I liked having something that you can put 2 stools under to add some quick seating. You can do anything from Inter Metro shelving, to a worktable, to a butcherblock cart, to bookshelves with a plywood top and finished out with paint or tile.

Is the big door a storage pantry, or something else? If it's a pantry, please post pictures of that with the door open so we can see inside.

And congratulations.

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! We are pretty excited after years of renting. To address a point that several made, we do have a small freestanding island that I have schlepped from rental house to rental house, so that will help for now. I'm just trying to think more about the long-term plan. For one thing, it may have some impact on what material we choose for the countertop replacement, since the countertop near the sink will eventually need to coordinate if we should install more cabinets/countertops/island in the future.

mabeldingeldine: that's a good suggestion, I'll see what I can come up with for a sketch.

ideagirl2: that is a good point about the flooring. Heck, the fridge is old enough, even it might look dirty next to white. I do plan to replace the flooring at some point. It's linoleum, and extends all the way to the front door, although thankfully there are hardwood floors everywhere else. I'm considering cork tiles. However, I don't know how soon we will get to the floors.

kaismom: I was going with white based on my desire to 'camouflage' the white appliances, which I don't like. I do also happen to like the look of white painted cabinets, and I think it would brighten up the kitchen. Is there a color palette you can recommend that would accomplish those things? Possibly just a cream color that doesn't make the floor look dingy? And yes, the double door is a shallow pantry with approx. 10-12" deep shelves. You're right that storage isn't quite as much of an issue as countertop space...but again, I do have a TON of kitchen gadgets/pots/pans, etc, so I will admit to needing an above-average amount of storage space.

• blacknoir
    13 years ago

I partly disagree with others on the white cabinets. If you like painted cabinets White ones are really nice. The only problem is you'll need to change the floor and countertop. If the floor is vinyl/laminate/cheap flooring thats an easy fix. Either spend some $$ and get a good tile or do something like a cork floor. The adjacent rooms are wood and matching those would be very hard so go with something different that would look good with white cupboards.

As for the countertop, you can get very nice and inexpensive laminate countertops at most box stores. I put one in recently as a temporary solution until all my cabinets are complete and the wife loves it. So much better then our old countertop which is very similar to what you have right now. This also means if you add an island you can get a matching countertop.

I'd put a shallow hutch or bookshelf on that empty wall and put an island in the middle. You can get pre-made lower cabinets which you can paint to save some money.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Is that space for an eating area or is there another eating area close by? I totally agree that you should not do anything major at this point. Paint away (and again agree that you should go with a soft color). There is sooooo much that can be done when the time is right. Don't take out walls yet. You don't want to get into flooring and whatnot until you're ready to do the big remodel.

Major congrats on the purchase of your first home... how exciting!!!!!

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Does the doorway to the left of the table (in pic 2) go to the livingroom? Even if you can't remove that wall because of ductwork, you may be able to widen that doorway and make a wide archway, it may make the kitchen seem less confining but not have the whole kitchen visible to the front door. I think I'd do open shelving on that wall, for all your gadgetry.

And congratulations on your first home, we bought our first a year and a half ago (after 20 years in the same apartment), I am so having fun with all the things we're able to do with our own place finally.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I'm going to echo those above who said live with it before you do anything major. I wouldn't bother putting new counters on, because I'd want to rearrange the layout when the time & money were available for a remodel. The dw placemat would drive me batty, and I can't see putting new counters on when that's not a layout I'd stick with.

Slap a coat of paint on if you want, but I wouldn't do more than that right now.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

.....and don't forget to paint the walls too. That will really cheer things up. They look cold and unfriendly right now.

Congrats on your new home. it is great fun.

i add my voice to the 'wait and live with it a while before making major decisions' call

• Fori
    13 years ago

Congratulations! That kitchen is a great space and will be fun to work with. Clean it really well, and then live in it a little before doing much.

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, here is my attempt to draw a plan. I tried to put labels on it, but failed. Hopefully you can tell that the rectangle on the bottom right is the foyer, top right rectangle is the kitchen, top left rectangle is dining room, bottom left rectangle is living room.

juliekcmo: afraid I can't post any other pics beyond what I've got; we don't close and move in until end of May.

remodelfla: there is a dining room adjacent. Thanks for the tip on waiting on flooring- that makes sense.

ghostlyvision: that doorway goes to the foyer and a straight shot to the front door; possible that the doorway could be widened without revealing the entire kitchen. I do like the idea of shelving- maybe a couple of rows of shelving over some base cabinets with a long stretch of countertop workspace? I'm trying to picture where I'd roll out cookie dough, for example.

laxsupermom: are you talking about how you can't stand in front of the sink with the dishwasher open? I've noticed that, too. It would be better to the right of the sink; not sure if there's enough room to move the fridge to the right, but by the time we'd get to that level of remodel, we'd probably replace the fridge, too... I can see what you mean about not bothering with the countertop, it's just in such terrible shape (gouged, falling apart), I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stand it. Might just get a very inexpensive temporary fix for now.

muspic: Oh, the whole house needs paint! Every room is hospital white. A very blank slate. :)

Guys, I completely agree with all of you on the 'live with it awhile' refrain; that's partly why I said we're doing it in stages. The other reason that we're tapped out after coming up with the downpayment! I guess what I'm looking for more than anything is general ideas on the layout for the future. I don't think the space is wide enough to hold both an island AND something on the blank wall, and I somehow feel like just an island with nothing on the blank wall feels...unbalanced? Is it a a nutty idea to have a long row of base cabinets along that blank wall, but to have the countertop on it hang over a bit so that you could pull up barstools? Granted, you wouldn't be able to get into the cabinets while people were sitting there, but I could use it for some of the tools I don't use very often, and for table linens and stuff.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Without measurements this is just guesstimating. If that were my kitchen, I'd like to close up the doorway from the foyer to the kitchen and punch a much bigger doorway into the living room. Still easy to get to with bags of groceries, but nobody sees your kitchen messes when you're answering the door.

Here's a stab at what I'd do. One of those walls is most likely load bearing so a beam would have to go in.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

First off, I agree with others...live in the house w/the current layout/configuration for a year or so b/f making major changes. Paint, yes. New counters, no...unless you purchase very inexpensive butcher block or laminate. New backsplash, no...unless you purchase a very inexpensive material and do it yourself.

Honestly? I'd leave the counters & backsplash alone for now. Paint the cabinets if you can do it yourself. Bring in your portable island if it fits in the space. Leave everything else alone for a year or so.

What you don't want to do is put a lot of money into what appears to be a somewhat dysfunctional layout and what look to be cabinets in bad shape (at least externally).

It is highly unlikely you will stick to the exact same layout when you remodel, so don't spend $$$ now on anything that will limit your future options. I.e., only spend money on things that will definitely be transferable to a new kitchen and won't limit your options OR on things that are so inexpensive that you won't hesitate to get rid of when the time comes for a full remodel.

If you do want to start thinking about options for later, wait until you close and can measure your space. To give you really meaningful & specific feedback, we need to know:

(1) The true dimensions of the space,

(2) Where you're flexible (e.g., moving/changing/removing walls/doorways/windows)

(3) Information about you and your family and how you plan to use the space.

See the "Layout Help" topic in the "Read Me" thread (linked below).

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

BTW...you're probably not receiving emails of follow-up postings, even though you checked the box requesting them. This is b/c you don't have the email option turned on in your profile. See the "Read Me" thread for more information. Scroll down to the post with the subject "Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process".

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

laxsupermom: Thank you for the pic! That is a very smart idea for the layout. I think that kitchens in these older homes were just not designed for the way we 'live' today, and this is a much more functional use of the space.

buehl: thank you very much for the input. What you're saying makes a lot of sense. I think I'll just have to live with the countertop as-is for awhile, and just do paint for now. The cabinets aren't in terrible shape, the fronts are just banged up after years of use. Anyway, paint and some cheap shelving on the blank wall will make a big difference in the short term. Oh, and I'll change my email settings, thanks; I've been on the garden forums awhile and I always wondered why I didn't get the email notifications! Thank you very much. :)

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Sleepy

Congrats on becoming a homeowner -

I scrolled a few times and wondered how about a narrow hutch type piece on the wall - scour Craigslist, consignment shops & the likes - measure & make sure to keep room for traffic

Paint will do wonders - if you are keeping counters & flooring you may want to play with a softer color than white which may be too jarring.
    Also are cabs wood or laminate/formica -

Enjoy your new home

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Congrats!
    My 2 cents...
    Paint the walls.
    Do not waste time and money on painting cabs. If they are not sound, then don't put lipstick on a pig!
    Watch CL and go to IKEA. You will either find a great hutch type piece that can be reused elsewhere once the kitchen is done for real, or you can do your already owned island and put up shelving (also try Ikea for that).
    If you simply hate how it looks now, then splurge on some inexpensive hardware for the cabs to help freshen it. I'd seriously try not to invest anything in the kitchen as it is because that will take away from the future kitchen fund.
    If you are on the east coast ("schlepping" was a clue), try www.greendemolitions.com. They have whole and part kitchens, often in great condition for a fraction of retail cost. You may also do well at a Habitat for Humanity Restore (google for locations).
    BTW - you can ask for gift certificates for a paint store if people want to give you a housewarming gift. It helps to enlist your best friend and immediate family to get the word out. Putting your choice of colors on the walls will be the best quick fix you can do.

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo: There is possibly nothing I wouldn't do to have an Ikea nearby. I'm in Kansas (but my vocabulary is quite continental :). The closest Ikea is in Austin, TX. I have actually considered renting a U-Haul and making a run to Austin. We do have a Habitat Restore here in Lawrence where I live. Paint store gift certificates is a GREAT idea- thank you!

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I think the paint is a great idea...the pale creamy yellow you have on your sofas would be fun and pretty with blue and some French country accents. If you really want to add some style some beadboard on the sides of the cabinets would cost only a little bit more.

Sometimes big projects like kitchens take a long time to afford, so some paint and accessories will go a long way to making you happy for a while. A counter height table with at least two stools for seating would be great.

Someone on here posted an amazing faux finished granite over laminate counter tops recently. You might consider that for now.

• my2sons
    13 years ago

No Ikea in Kansas City? There is one in Frisco, TX which is north of Dallas, so you don't have to go all the way to Austin ;).

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, gmp- I'll look into the faux finish on the countertops.

my2sons: Nope, no Ikea in KC. We are getting our first Trader Joe's this summer, so maybe there's still hope yet. Seriously, you have no idea how much I've longed for an Ikea for YEARS. Outside of maybe Montana, we have to be the farthest major metro area from any Ikea. It's over 500 miles to either Chicago or Dallas. Frisco is closer, but I've already got a trip to Austin planned to visit a friend who recently moved there, so I can use that as my excuse to go. :)

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    13 years ago

I think doodling floorplans is great -- but take time to look at books and mags specifically on remaking spaces. Might check out Not So Big Remodeling. The point is to consider many options for how you orient your spaces and not just have"perimeteritis" and end up with the same kitchen. You might decide to swathe kitchen with another room, or float the counter toward the LR, or something.

• gmp3
    13 years ago

Here is the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: amazing counters!

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Hi Sleepy,
    I'm in KC MO.

There is a habitat restore here too. at 79th and Wornall. Where the marbec vacuum place used to be. You may get a bigger selection there than in Lawrence.

Also, the twin cities is I believe the closest IKEA.

For accessories, check out Mission Road Antiques at 83rd and Mission in Prairie Village, and also in Waldo at 75th and Main.

For inspiration, head to Atchison or north KC to Nell Hills (Athchison is better IMHO)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I agree that you need to live there a while. However I'm the walkpath person and I see that people walk from one door around the table and out the other door. If you had a straight shot walking alongside the wall you can deadend the kitchen.

I'm assuming that you plan to use the dining room, yes? Then deleting the table and replacing with a wheeled cart with hinged countertop for seating a person or two might help you make the space more flexible. Put it closer to the middle of room. You can plunk things there when moving into/out of room so that the L of the kitchen is dedicated to actual work. You can release brake and pull/push it to be a different work station or get it out of the way against the wall when you need to. If you spend under $1000 for it you can sell it after you get a bigger plan and meanwhile you enjoy a kitchen that's more efficient. Ikea sells many styles--start looking there but don't stop there. Just think about what it offers. Lower shelves on a cart provide storage for cooking gadgets to get them off the countertops--crockpots, processors, stockpots, gizmos, serving pieces. If top is a chopping surface it moves one person out of the L so another can work there unimpeded.

Meanwhile that blank wall begs for art and color.

• kren_pa
    13 years ago

hi there
    having lived with old cabs, painted them, and installed new,all on the cheap i would suggest that the quickest thing to do with the biggest impact is simply to take off the cabinet doors that are not working well and clean the rest with soap and water. you would have to do that first anyway if you want to paint. that might be enough to get you through the first year (if you paint the walls, of course). you will get to try out the new open shelf style also. Having reused old cupboards, bought mills pride and kraftmaid (all in different houses) i can say that new cupboards are worth it, even the lower end ones...it feels so good not to have the doors stick every time you open them. good luck!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional