SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodcarma_gw

Sold your home through a flat-rate MLS service?

goodcarma
16 years ago

We are preparing to sell a $300K house and just can't understand how a listing agent can still justify a 3% / $9K commission. Property values have increased substantially in our area, as in most, but the work the agents have to do to market properties has decreased significantly with the advent of internet marketing.

I understand the value of the buyer's agent, bringing pre-qualified buyers to see my home, but I just can't see paying the same commission to another agent just for listing on the MLS and coming by to stock flyers, especially when I can buy an MLS # myself through one of these flat-rate services. And as for the paperwork, a real estate attorney will do it for far, far less.

On the downside, I can imagine that the buyer's agents may be less than enthusiastic to show such a property, and possibly even boycott it, out of support for their industry, even though they would still get their 3%.

So, what experiences have you had? Are listing agents still necessary, or are most people just willing to pay the 3% because they are so happy to hear how much their house is worth now (which they usually hear from the listing agent)? Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Comment (1)