SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jquentzel

RECIPE: cheesecake recipe

jquentzel
17 years ago

Here is a cheesecake recipe that my son says is the best cheesecake he's ever tasetd. It is from The Cool Mountain Cookbook. This recipe is from the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Park City, Utah.

Caramel Pecan Cheesecake

Have all ingredients at room temperature and make a day ahead.

12 servings

Crust:

2 Cups chopped pecans, crushed

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup caramel sauce (recipe to follow- I used store bought)

Filling:

3 pounds cream cheese, softened (I used low fat)

1 cup sugar

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a roasting pan on the lowest rack of the oven, and then pour very hot water into the pan. Set the next rack just above the water bath.

2.The easiest way to crush the pecans is to pulse them for a minute or two in a food processor. To finish the crust, stir the crushed pecans, sugar and melted butter together until moistened. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. (Wrap the bottom of the spring-form in heavy duty foil in case it leaks during cooking which it usually does!!!!!) Pour 1/2 cup cooled caramel over pecan mixture and spread evenly with a spatula. Set aside.

3. Beat the cream cheese in a mixer for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides and bottom. Add the cup of sugar and beat for 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape the bottom and sides after the last egg, then add the vanilla and beat 1 more minute. (All this beating helps make it fluffy.)

4. Pour the filling over the crust and bake on a sheet pan in the oven for 60 to 75 minutes or until the top is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. (just not wet) The cake will rise about 1/2 inch above the top of the pan during cooking, but will settle during cooling. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Remove the outer form and cut the cake with a serrated knife, cleaning the knife in between each cut. Serve with leftover caramel sauce.

(A word of warning- The last time I made it the caramel leaked out making removal from pan very difficult. See my post on CF for details.)

Easy Caramel Sauce (1 1/2 cups)

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons water

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup butter cut into chunks

Heat the sugar and water over medium heat in a tall saucepan. Cook until the sugar liquifies and turns golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from heat and cafefully and SLOWLY add the heavy cream (CAUTION:the mixture will bubble up violently, which is why you need a tall pan.)

Return to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in butter until it melts

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012