SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmjay_gw

Picky or Problem? (Crack in Shower Board)

9 years ago

As a new construction town home buyer, I have yet another question. I found a 26 inch crack in the board in the master shower that goes all the way through. It's the board that's supposed to be water tight and that will have the tile over it. I've attached a photo; it's on the mid to upper left side of the shower. The builder said it's not a problem because it's normal(!) for board to crack and that it will be sealed with a joint membrane prior to tile installation. I checked the adjacent units, and mine is the only one with a crack. I have a friend who lives there already and has cracking tiles in her shower pan, which makes me particularly sensitive in this area, especially given the possibility of mold etc. Am I being TOO sensitive or is it unreasonable to expect that board to be replaced?

Also, this is only my second post, but I have to say thank you to everyone on this site for all the helpful information. I've been lurking since I signed the contract, but it's only lately as things get closer to completion that I've needed to post.

Comments (13)