SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryhairdo

RECIPE: Grilled Shrimp with cumin mayo

Cherryhairdo
17 years ago

My SIL sent me this yesterday from her local paper, and it sounds wonderful. so I thought I would share.

GRILLED SHRIMP WITH CUMIN MAYO

Makes 4 or 5 appetizer servings

Cumin mayo :

4 teaspoons cumin seeds or 4

teaspoons ground cumin

1 cup regular or reduced - fat ( not

nonfat ) mayonnaise

3 tablespoons chopped fresh

cilantro

2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

Shrimp :

16 extra - large shrimp ( 15- to

20- per - pound count ) , deveined

and peeled but with tails left on

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 / 2 teaspoon grated lime zest

1 / 4 teaspoon kosher salt

/ 8 teaspoon hot red - pepper flakes

1 medium garlic clove , finely

chopped

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 lime cut into 6 wedges for

garnish

Prepare eight (6-inch or longer) wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes

To prepare the mayonnaise, set a small skillet over medium heat and, when hot, add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Place seeds in a spice grinder, or use a mortar and pestle and grind the seeds finely. If using ground cumin, place it in pan and stir constantly 1 minute to develop the flavor.

In a nonreactive bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice and toasted cumin. Cover and refrigerate. (Mayonnaise can be prepared 2 hours ahead.)

To prepare shrimp, place them in a nonreactive shallow dish or pan. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice and zest, salt, pepper flakes and garlic. Whisk in olive oil, then pour mixture over shrimp. Marinate shrimp, turning several times, at cool room temperature 45 minutes.

When ready to grill shrimp, oil a grill rack and arrange it 4 to 5 inches from heat source. Prepare grill for a hot fire. Skewer 2 shrimp on each skewer. When grill is ready, grill shrimp until they turn pink and are curled, 2 to 3 minutes a side. Do not overcook or shrimp will be tough.

To serve, arrange bowl of cumin mayo on a serving platter and surround with skewered shrimp. Garnish with lime wedges. Squeeze some lime juice over the grilled shrimp.

Comments (4)