SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ariadne_gw

Buyer mad over a wicker shelf -- what to do?

ariadne
16 years ago

We closed the sale of our home 5/31. The process was very contentious with the buyer making a complete a** of herself over the smallest things. And still, after closing, she's squawking over stupid stuff.

I had a small wicker and wire decorative shelf hanging in my half bathroom that I packed and put into storage when we moved last week (we're building a house that won't be ready for another 6 months -- most of our stuff is in storage at the moment). It was not specified as staying, nor did we specify that it was going in the contract. To be frank, I honestly did not thing such a small thing would be considered a "fixture" of the property -- my mistake compeletely, I'll admit. Yes, two screws were used to "attach" it to the wall, which were easily removed when it came down, leaving two SMALL holes in the wall. I packed it without even thinking about it.

The buyer had her final walk through the day before closing and mentioned to my agent that she thought the wicker shelf came with the house. However, that was it -- one mention and she went through with the closing, did not ask for any money for the shelf to be put in escrow -- nothing, not a peep.

Now a week later she's calling my agent asking for the wicker shelf to be returned.

That d*** shelf is BURIED under all the stuff in my storage unit and it would be a HUGE pain to unload the contents of my 3-bedroom house just to find it. And frankly, I'm not inclined to give it to her -- I think she's being petty, which was her modus operandi throughout this whole process.

I want to offer her $30 in compensation, but I'm sure she's not going to be happy with that (I probably couldn't even get $30 for this thing at a garage sale). On the other hand, my gut instinct is to just ignore her and if she wants the stupid thing THAT BAD, then let her have the headache and expense of taking me to court over it.

What would be your recommendation in this situation?

Comments (74)