SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tptully

Subdivision and capital gains tax

tptully
16 years ago

Hi,

Although a somewhat similar question was posted in February, my situation has some additional details.

In March of 2006, my husband and I bought 30 acres for $150,000. Before we closed on the 30 acres, we completed the subdivision process on the lot to break it into a 26 acre piece and a 4 acre piece. At closing, the subdivision took effect and now we own two pieces: one 26 acres (upon which we built our house) and one 4 acres (which we are selling for $70,000).

The 4 acre piece contains 319 feet of frontage, while the 26 acre piece only possesses 50 feet of frontage (our driveway). The 4 acre piece is buildable and also has nice views (which isn't the situation for every acre of the entire 30 acre piece).

So, my question is: How do we determine the capital gains that we need to report from selling off the 4 acre piece? Is there any way to prove that in selling off the 4 acres, we are selling off the most valuable part of the property that we originally purchased, and thus, we don't owe any capital gains at all?!

Lastly, who would give us better advice on this issue: a lawyer or an accountant?

Thanks,

Tracy

Comment (1)