SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susana_2006

question about zoning & permit

susana_2006
16 years ago

My family has found a property that seems to be perfect for our needs. It is being sold by the owner & my buyer's agent is representing me. The home location is zoned residential. There is a garage with a garage apartment above it. The owner made clear to my realtor that the apartment could not be used as a rental because of single family zoning. The apartment is 500 square feet this square footage is being used to support the asking price.

The owner said that a permit was obtained to build the garage. When I looked at county records & zillow, the records agree with what we observed at the showing, except that there is no mention of the bathroom & square footage in the above garage apartment. My realtor is researching this, but I'd like to know from others with experience in this situation.

If you wanted that property and the county was not aware of a structure, what are the consequences?

How could this be remedied?

What are the appraisal issues -- would the house be appraised accoring to what is actually there, or would the appraiser be required to go by what the county records state?

Thanks for advice on this issue?

Comments (11)