SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edie_tn

Question about permits

edie_tn
14 years ago

I know all areas are different, but was wondering if it is more typical for the builder to get the building permit, or for the homeowner? My builder told me that they would get the permits as a convenience to us, since the contract actually states we will get the permits. The last time I had a pool built, it was no issue, the builder got the permits. Anyway, the other day, my builder called me and asked if I would mind going to get the permit because it will take longer for them to do it as they need to present various paperwork,etc. (This builder tends to do more work outside my city limits, but states that they did quite a few pools in my county within the last year.). Anyway, I said that I would go ahead and do it, so I called the building permit office to find out what I would need to have with me, and she said that she felt she just needed to tell me that when I file for the permit, I basically am the general contractor and I am liable if a sub decides to sue for not getting paid, or getting hurt, etc.) She looked up the builder and stated that according to her records the builder only had a state license for home improvement, therefore, the contract dollar amount that they are able to build for is lower than my contract. And states that they would need a general contractor's license to cover the amount of my build. My husband was concerned that that they did not divulge this to us upon signing of the contract, since now they have ordered our pool. So, he called the builder and the builder states that they do, in fact, have a general contractor's license and the city has something screwed up. they stated that they would go ahead and get the permit. I am not questioning the ability of the builder to do a good job. In my opinion, if they do have a general contractor's license, than this would be a good time to make sure that they are recorded appropriately with the city... But the contract does state that the owner obtains the permits. Am I being overly concerned? It would not have been any big deal until the permit office employee told me that they were not licensed to do a job within my contract amount (we are talking about $7,000 over). I am getting a small pool without alot of bells and whistles, and I know this builder has contracts well over the amount of mine, so is it possible that the city could not have the appropriate information on this builder, or are they not being straight with me? Am I over-reacting?

Edie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions