SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: non-meat version of stuffed ricotta pie

san_
17 years ago

i recently made sue's stuffed ricotta pie for a pot luck at work (quartering the recipe before deciding to try to feed the whole neighborhood and omitting the hard-boiled eggs!) and we loved it and will be happy to have it again. but it just occured to me that i should omit the meats and make it for a vegetarian friend of mine the next time she comes for a visit--i think she might enjoy some version of it too! i was thinking along the lines of adding in a package of thawed, chopped spinach and a handful or two of chopped basil, which i imagine would be perfectly good. do you have any other ideas that you think would be good in place of the sausage and salami?

Pizza Rustica

From Sue (Cookingrvc)

4 lb Whole-milk ricotta

1 C Grated Romano cheese

8 Large eggs

2 lb Whole-milk mozzarella -- cubed

1 Italian pinwheel sausage - plain -- cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces

-- (Can use regular sausage - remove casing, cook in fry pan)

1 lb Genoa salami or Supresata -- sliced 1/4" thick, diced.

8 Hard-boiled eggs -- diced

8 Pie crust - deep dish -- 4 will be used for upper crust

1 Egg wash (1 Egg - beaten w/2 T. water)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Thaw pie shells for 15-30 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl (I use a Kitchen Aide mixer) add ricotta and grated cheese - mix well Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Add mozzarella, pinwheel sausage, and salami - mix well. Fold in hard-boiled eggs.

Divide filling among 4 pie shells. Cut the crimped edges off the remaining shells and invert over each filled pie shell. Be sure to cover all of filling. Cut 8 slits in each top crust. Brush crust with egg wash.

Place in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Lower temperature to 325 and cook for 45 minutes more.

Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack. Refrigerate.

NOTES : The pie will taste salty straight from the oven. Flavors need time to mellow. Tastes best when cooled and refrigerated for 24 hours.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone