SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Preliminary kitchen design - feedback

Kristen Hallock
14 years ago

My husband and I are close to going to Lowes or a local Kitchen place to get a kitchen design done and order cabinets, but I would like to be fully prepared and run some ideas by here first.

The basic layout will stay the same. The sink will stay in the same spot. We will still have an island, but I don't want it at an angle like it currently is. And I will not have the cooktop in the island. Instead we REALLY want to put a 36" range + hood in about the same location as the current wall ovens. We would also like to add window(s) to this wall to bring more light into the kitchen. My current idea is to have 2 narrow windows on each side of the range/hood. Not sure of the logistics of this, but that is my idea. I could go for 1 window, but I feel like 2 would be more pleasant to the eye, to have it symmetrical. I would then have the wall cabinets to the left of the sink run straight to the corner, with no "corner" cabinet, since the cabs will not wrap around to the range wall, a window right next to the corner, then the range hood, then another window, then back to cabinets, either uppers or tall closet/pantry type ones.

I'm not sure where the fridge would end up. Maybe where the current desk is, in between the bathroom and laundry room doors? Is it OK to have the fridge and sink separated with an island in between? I would probably put a small prep sink on the island. This wall is only 61" wide. We'd have a 36" fridge, either side by side or french door. There is a possibility of setting it back into the wall since right now there is a storage closet behind that wall. We use the closet to hold cleaning items. If I put the fridge here do i need to have a space next to the fridge for countertops? or is the island counter sufficient?

some pictures of the current kitchen

This is a potential layout with measurements drawn in.

I guess I need to figure out the best configuration for the fridge and pantry. We have that back laundry room now that could be altered, but this is DIY and I know DH will not want to make too many changes. I am OK with a pull-out pantry cabinet, since I never had a walk-in pantry before and don't really lust after them anyways.

Thanks!

Comments (36)