SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jriggsaz

Need preliminary floorplan feedback

Jason R
7 years ago

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning to build a new home and we're trying to move forward with this floorplan. This is a starting point from our architect and we're planning to do the following:

-Flip it (garage will be on the left)

-Dining room will be enclosed and become a teen room

-Doors to the Study (my home office) will face the foyer

-Possibly change the bathroom between bedrooms 5+6 to a Jack and Jill configuration

Our biggest concern is the kitchen layout. The cooktop at the end of the island and the fact that the cabinet run ends in the Family Room.

Since we're early in the process, I would really welcome your feedback on this preliminary layout. Any advice or insight you all could add would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (30)

• bpath
    7 years ago

Who is going to live in the house? How many adults, kids, ages?

What part of he country are you in?

This came from your architect, so you already have your lot?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

Not sure how these individual concerns get resolved, or if they are resolvable as stated. For example, if you flip the garage to the left, how do you get from the garage to the public spaces of the house? How do you get groceries from the car to the kitchen? How do you get garbage from the kitchen to the trash cans in the garage? Do you think there's more to it besides "flipping"?

Jason R thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Related Discussions

Need FloorPlan Suggestions - Desperate

Q

Comments (10)
    I've looked at your plan several times, but have found it difficult to come up with ideas since I'm not clear on what can be changed, and it's hard to see the measurements. Looking at your second plan, it's guesswork to see what the old plan was. It would be very helpful to see the original, existing plan. But I'll take a stab at it. What is it that you don't like about the MBR, besides the location of the WIC door? You said you're redoing the bathrooms. Can their fixtures be relocated? Can the kitchen cabinets along the dining room wall be changed? Seems like there must be a better way to do the butler's pantry, which is inconvenient in its present location. Can the locations of the appliances be changed in the kitchen? The great room seems huge--what are the measurements? Do you really need it that large? The reason I ask is that it seems like you have space in it for the dining table at the end towards the kitchen. If so, I'd go back to the 3 car garage, and just attach it to the house. Then I'd rework the present dining room, mudroom, and butler's pantry. How many people/ what ages are living in this house? Is there a reason the mudroom is so large in Baton Rouge, especially with the laundry elsewhere? I assume you need 4 active bedrooms, and wouldn't want to convert one to a study/guest bedroom? Living in the north, I don't know much about life styles in Louisiana. How much of the year are the doors and windows open, or do you mostly close up and use air conditioning down there? Which way is south on this house plan? How wide is the lot, and how close to the lot line are the doors of the present 3 car garage? More info and the original plan will help! Anne
    ...See More

First post, preliminary floor plan

Q

Comments (13)
    I cook constantly too, and I used to have a small baking business in my home. I'll say again, oversized and stuffed with cabinets isn't the answer: The answer is efficient. You want enough counter space . . . but you don't want every bit of kitchen space filled with cabinetry. You also want space for walking comfortably, and you don't want barriers between you and your work spaces. Lavender Lass' layout is much nicer. She's eliminated one difficult corner and the "trapped behind the island problem". You have that nice wide island for rolling out baking items. And you could lose some square footage in the middle of the house without loss of functionality. What I'd still like to see in LL's layout is a larger pantry. A pantry is the best, least expensive storage you can have -- much smarter than housing your items in expensive cabinetry. And if you have 100+ cake pans (like I do) and 20+ cake stands (like I do), you'll love being able to see them all at once.
    ...See More

Preliminary Floor Plan Advice

Q

Comments (16)
    Mark, the guest room will mainly be used by my parents, who visit 3-4 times a year. My mom would laugh at your comment, though, because she usually ends up helping me with the cooking and laundry! I saw it organized in that way for a few reasons. First, my daughter, who is now a junior in HS, will be living with us for college. I want her to have the entire upstairs part of the house as her own and for her to have a sense of privacy, meaning she can come and go through the garage entrance as she pleases with easy access to the laundry. This also allows her to keep her cat separate from the dogs. With my parents in mind, who visit 3-4 times a year, we have another complicated pet issue. My dogs do not like other dogs or cats. My parents have a little dog. If they also had an entrance (like through the garage) for their dog then they could stay longer because right now they have to find dog sitters. I was thinking I could put a pet gate up or maybe even a dutch door to keep that area permanently sealed off from my dogs. If they never see it as their territory, I think it will be a lot easier to control the pet issues. I won't be discouraged if the architect suggests something completely different. Mainly I put the plan together just to show him what our fundamental needs are and how our lives work. I'm completely open to his creative vision for a home with our lifestyle in mind. Thanks!
    ...See More

Preliminary floor plan advice requested- SW style house

Q

Comments (17)
    Welcome to Albuquerque! Feel free to reach out if you want input on builders or neighborhoods. I think you can make the first plan work for you, and I think you will love having a separate kids play area. I like your fireplace idea too -- that will make your furniture/TV placement options so much more flexible. To me the dining/kitchen location seems good -- I wouldn't switch them, but I don't think it would be bad if you did. Assuming you leave the design as is, it looks like it would be possible for you to extend your small pantry up to the window to give you more space (and if the dining area is big enough you could even scoot the kitchen down a bit to get a large pantry). My first concern when I looked at the layout is the lack of a mudroom with two kids. What I would do is to use that closet above the laundry space and put the washer/dryer in there (facing the now mud room). I would stack them on the left and then put a bench with hooks above them where the washer and dryer currently are. You can use the corner space for a cabinet to store laundry supplies. Another thought -- do you take baths? Your master shower looks small, and I know most of builders around here have master bath options for you to replace a separate shower/tub with a large shower. Unless you are a huge bath person, I would definitely do that. Final question/thought -- is the patio covered? If not, and you have the option to cover the patio, I would definitely take it. That will make the patio so much more useful in our climate, and this is an upgrade you want to choose when you build the house as opposed to an add-on later.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is this a plan from an actual architect or a designer/draftsman? And if from an architect where are the elevations?

Where in the country is the house?

What is your lot like?

What is your family makeup? Needs?

How large is your lot and are there any setbacks?

Which direction is north?

• rrah
    7 years ago

The only thing I like about this plan is the separation of sinks in the master bathroom. Even that can use some improvements. The sink in the front will have storage in the corner that is hard to access.

I do not recommend turning the bathroom into a Jack and Jill. That is the closest bathroom to the garage and the closest tot he proposed teen room. Instead of walking through the family room users of the teen room can remain in the more private areas of the house.

What size is the breakfast nook? As the only proposed eating area, I wonder if it large enough for every day use and for guests. It appears there is a wall of cabinets taking up space there.

Is that a sink next to what you've identified as the cook top on the island? That will function poorly as one needs to have space on both sides of a cook top. That's only the start with the kitchen issues. The least of the worries is the island cook top.

How do you plan to use the home office? Will you work there daily or is it for occasional use? Perhaps I'm keenly aware of the need for more office privacy if used daily as my spouse worked from his home office for over 20 years. Consider moving it to a more private area if it's used regularly for real work time and not just bill paying or something similar.

Jason R thanked rrah
  • just_janni
    7 years ago

Angled kitchen - easiest way to "date" a house - even a new house! The funky angles never work - you get a weird inaccessible pantry, expensive cabinetry or a lot of filler strips, weird angles to fabricate counters, and a design that feels "forced". You also end up with a weird dance floor behind the sink, and a bad traffic pattern of people coming directly into your work area from the garage. Assume you have teens - they come barreling into the house when you are moving over to the ovens with a hot plate. Disaster. Also - because the house is so deep - the kitchen will be dark and the roof will be massive (if it has a pitch) and look like an oversized hat squashing the house.

Also agree that you are lacking in dining space - esp with the traffic flow in the nook. And also don't turn the back hall bath into J&J - it actually works well shared the way it is! (I'd drop down to one sink and increase counter space - it's more valuable than the 2nd sink - as face washing and teeth brushing can easily share a sink with 2 kids- it's the "prep" that needs room - hair, makeup, 4 tons of Axe cologne for the boys. Ha!

Master - agree with Mrs Pete (on this and her other feedback). The bath needs work. I have a shower with a "g" shaped configuration that does not have a door - lover that part. Yours will be cramped for 2 people (if that's the goal). Ditch the seat - add a foot rest thing to put your foot on for leg shaving - that's the only use my seat gets. Sitting on wet tile / marble or whatever is simply weird / gross when you are naked. (sorry for the visual) The water closet will be claustrophobic.

I am sorry - but there is little to like here. One last ? - I am assuming that there is a lower level or upper level (because I don't see 6 bedrooms on this floor) where are the stairs? I see 5 IF you count the study / office - and that will need a closet.

Jason R thanked just_janni
  • Jason R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all so much for your valuable feedback. We aren’t married to this plan so please keep
    firing away J

Our family includes a 12 year old daughter, 9 and 6 year old
    boys and myself and my wife. Our goal is
    to have a teen room for the kids as they get older (proposed for the current
    dining room), a suite for my daughter (so she isn’t sharing the boys bathroom),
    a home office (I work from home full time), a bath accessible to the outside
    (for a pool) and a nice, spacious kitchen good for hosting. We live in the Phoenix area and the front of
    the house faces north.

When I said that the plan will be flipped, I meant the whole
    plan, completely flipped (not just moving the garage). The garage will end up facing east. Our lot is 190’ wide, 167’ deep and the
    intention is to shift the house to the eastern side of the lot and center it
    north to south. The house is 101' wide, 60' deep, 3300 sq ft livable, 5018 under roof. We're currently in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath plus office that is 2500 sq ft and we're pretty happy with it. Ideally we wanted to be at 3000 sq ft, 3 or 4 car garage.

-Elevations are attached

-House is one story.
    What is shown as the second bedroom/study will actually be my office
    (doors facing the entry way) and we probably won’t have a closet in there.

-As for windows, the master bath has 16x20 windows in the
    closet, shower, two 16x14 over the tub and a 20x30 over the toilet. Master get an 80x66 and the other bedrooms
    are between 50x50 and 60x60.

-Thanks for the feedback on the master bath. I’m actually ok with that layout. The size of the toilet room, swing of the
    door, etc, is very common out here and it seems to work fine.

-Good point on the dryer vent. I suppose it would vent through the roof our
    out one of the eves?

-The nook is about 15’ wide and about 12’ from the wall to
    the island. We plan to use a 6 top most
    of the time and add a leaf for an 8 top on occasion. We’re also debating on whether or not to keep
    the door in the nook. The issue is that the 16’ slider in the family room would
    be the only other exit point. It seems
    like it might be a bit of a walk to go from the kitchen to the center of that
    slider in the family room.

-Ok, so now the kitchen.
    This is the biggest issue that I have.
    Below is a rough concept where I blew out the old kitchen and went with
    an L-shaped layout that seems to make more sense (ignore the three vertical
    lines near the family room – scanner issue).
    I’d have to then use the dead space between the kitchen and laundry room
    to accommodate a pantry, close for bedroom 4 and some kind of storage/coat
    closet with the remaining space. What
    are your thoughts and ideas on this approach?

Thanks again!!

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

How did you arrive at this plan? Are you tweaking a stock plan? Honestly, I think you need to scrap this and start over.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Also to ask more questions:

Do you need a 4 car garage?

Does it need to be attached to the house?

What are your lot setbacks?

I like that your house is oriented north/south. That is the one good thing so far.

However as others pointed out, the house will be dark and especially the kitchen.

I asked if you're using an actual architect or a designer. I say that because everything about this plan looks more like a designer/draftsman created it than an architect. Too many strange things about it like all the exterior bump outs. A good architect or person of design talent will create a streamlined interior/exterior without resorting to bump-o's to try and make the house interesting.

The kids bedrooms seem to be just stuck willy nilly wherever a space could be found for them without any thought of keeping them somewhat in their own wing.

And your daughter's bedroom next to what will be the teen room? So the boys are in there playing some loud video games, whooping it up with their friends and your daughter needs to get some early shut eye or study for an important exam?

The kitchen and its location is a hot mess as mentioned above.

You work from home. Do you need it to be somewhat quiet or will the noise from the living room not bother you while working?

Do you really want to be shlepping laundry all across the house from your master bedroom? Frankly, I'd rather it be closer to the master and get the kids to shlep their own to the laundry room on your side of the house.

Have you considered creating more of an L or H shaped house or even a T shape?

With a T shaped house that is flipped on its side, you could have the public rooms on the long part of the T across the front of the house, and then the master at the top of the top part of the T looking out at the yard, while the kids bedrooms could be at the bottom of the T. Your master bath/master closet and the laundry room would separate the kids rooms from your rooms.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I was curious what stock plans were available that meet your criteria. Here's a William Poole that has a fourth bedroom/teen hang out space and a formal dining room near the master that could serve as an office with the addition of doors. It's a 2 car garage, though...

ETA: I'm not a fan of jack/Jill baths, but this one looks like it can easily be modified to have a single entrance from the hall.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

Thank you all so much for your valuable feedback. We aren’t married to this plan so please keep
    firing away J

Good! I'm glad you have a good attitude toward criticism. It will save you much heartache in the future.

As for windows, the master bath has 16x20 windows in the
    closet, shower, two 16x14 over the tub and a 20x30 over the toilet. Master get an 80x66 and the other bedrooms
    are between 50x50 and 60x60.

No, no, the point: It's not about window size; rather, you want rooms with windows on two sides. Light coming in from two sides makes a huge difference in the feel of the room.

Thanks for the feedback on the master bath. I’m actually ok with that layout. The size of the toilet room, swing of the
    door, etc, is very common out here and it seems to work fine.

Yes, these problems are common -- but don't you want to change things very slightly so that they work BETTER and are OPTIMAL instead of just "eh".

Good point on the dryer vent. I suppose it would vent through the roof our
    out one of the eves?

Can that be done? How would you clean your dryer vent? Venting directly to the outside is always best /cheapest /safest. The easiest fix in this situation would be flipping the machines to the garage wall ... you cannot vent directly into the garage, but you can run a vent along the edge of the garage wall, and a vent that you can touch is easier to clean /replace ... but you're looking at a lengthy vent. Honestly, though, with all the other problems, this is a second-rate issue. I really think you need to start over from scratch.

The kids bedrooms seem to be just stuck willy nilly wherever a space
    could be found for them without any thought of keeping them somewhat in
    their own wing.

Yeah, that's true. the separation of public and private spaces could be better.
    Have you considered creating more of an L or H shaped house or even a T shape?

I was thinking that an L shaped house would accommodate these rooms better.

Here's a William Poole that has a fourth bedroom/teen hang out space and
    a formal dining room near the master that could serve as an office with
    the addition of doors. It's a 2 car garage, though...

I like William Poole houses. In this example, the exterior's more uniform, so it'd be a less expensive build. I agree that the three kids' bedrooms are clustered in a more reasonable manner (and every bedroom could have windows on two walls), though I would still like to see bathrooms that're more than minimal /have some storage. The hallways make sense, and the dining room could easily be an office. The kitchen is much nicer /more functional than the oddball triangle kitchen in the OP's original design. Make a kids' hang-out in a FROG, and you're set.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Mrs. Pete -- what's a FROG?

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Good advice here, I think you can do better with a plan from one of the online sources. I have to agree with the others that I don't think you have the right architect working on this project. Or maybe you took something you drew up yourself to the architect and paid him to "clean it up" without making major changes? The interior is dark and fragmented which will make living in it difficult and will make resale harder than it should be. When you carve out the pathways around 3 sides of the family room you may even find that room becomes a little tight. I'm not fully following your proposed changes to the kitchen but I think they are a step in the right direction.

• robin0919
    7 years ago

Furnished room over garage.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

I have long thought that whenever I see diagonals in a floor plan that it's a failed plan which simply did not have enough thought, time or designer experience devoted to a creative solution.

My humble suggestion is to ditch the diagonals and start with a clean sheet of paper.

• Donna R
    7 years ago

For me...I would try like crazy to orient the plan east/west...just seems that all the rooms that need light are facing the wrong way, or blocked by the cut up configuration. For my taste, house is way too cut up, I am much happier in more open floor plan...consider double doors to shut off rooms ...but leave them open when you want.

My advice to you, is go on open house tours....lots of them! They let you take pics, usually...take pics of what you like about each house..then sit down and REALLY prioritize!

Just as a word to the wise...builders can include just about anything in any configuration...but if you add it AFTER the initial contract/plan...the cost can be HUGE...think this through..every room ..light switch, door knob, everything.Good Luck!!!!!!!!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I would try like crazy to orient the plan east/west...just seems that all the rooms that need light are facing the wrong way,

East/west is absolutely the worst orientation in the south or most anywhere because it means the lower west light during the late afternoon is entering the house and heating it up.

• providencesparrow
    7 years ago

Mr Virgil- what specifically are you referring to as diagonals in the plan? The angled hall/kitchen? Trying to learn what an excellent plan consists of.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

West facing windows in Phoenix? That sounds like a terrible idea.

Question: in a climate like Phoenix is it generally best to put the garage on the west side to insulate from hot late afternoon sun?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

Providencesparrow wrote, "...Mr Virgil- what specifically are you referring to as diagonals in the plan? The angled hall/kitchen?..."

Yes, that's the area where there's an excessive amount of circulation space to essentially connect two bedrooms and a bathroom to the rest of the house. And the space will be dark with no natural light. The plan is very deep in this area of the house--three plus rooms deep which means not only little to no natural light but also a very large, out of proportion roof dominating the exterior. The four-car garage, with side-by-side 18-foot wide doors is another scale-busting element for that side of the house.

Seems to me you could do much better than this.

• gallogly77
    7 years ago

At a minimum, you should add space for another 2 car garage and 3 more bedrooms!

• stephja007
    7 years ago

Disclaimer: I've skipped over most every comment, my apologies if I repeat other things.

There are countless little things I see wrong, which I'm sure people are screaming scrap the plan. So instead of just screaming that, I'll point out some of what I am specifically seeing.

Hallway between dining/teen room and kitchen is much wider than needed.

Angled hallway to the back makes a super awkward kitchen. Nothing about that kitchen appeals to me except maybe the nice size (but awkwardly shaped) pantry and the extra wide fridge. Nothing about that back hallway seems nice either. Dark, dreary and long.

The water heater is in just about the most remote corner of the garage. Have fun waiting for your shower to warm up or even your kitchen sink. (Or if you're even the slightest bit environmentally concerned, that's a lot of wasted water to wash your hands).

Unless you live in a house where people often get muddy and gross and strip their clothes off and throw them in the washer before stepping any further, I see no point in having the laundry room at the garage. It's a dated feature from when people used to walk through their laundry to get to the garage or when they combine the mud/laundry. There is no reason to have it where it is. Place it where it's more convenient for laundry (either close to kid's beds, close to master bed, or close to rooms where you generally are while running laundry such as the kitchen.)

The door swing from the garage gets in the way of the coat hooks/bench area. But it allows easy access from the garage to the laundry room, which...maybe is needed? (sarcasm).

Bedroom 4 has an awkward jog in it. The only reason I see it having this is to allow entry to the bathroom. Either shift the bathroom down or flip it. Closet could be built into the garage too giving your hallway a straight shot instead of having a jog in it.

As currently drawn, the bedroom 4 bathroom and laundry room don't align. That is a waste. That extra 6" of drywall will cost more than the extra 6" of space you would get in the laundry room.

• lookintomyeyes83
    7 years ago

The massing of the front is bothering me...the entrance 'mass' is lopsided/assymetrical, so it feels 'wrong' to my brain.

• Jason R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback. You've made some great points and we're now weighing our options to either massively overhaul this plan or start over with a new plan. Our architect (draftsman) has given us a handful of other plans to work with but so far nothing is exciting us.

Based on your feedback, we've narrowed down the list of things that are important to us:

-Teen/bonus room, ideally positioned somewhere that the kids can be loud and not disturb the great room and master

-2 bedrooms that share a bath, 3rd bedroom with its own bath (plus master suite)

-Bath with outside access (for the pool)

-Home office with privacy (full time work from home)

-Side entry 3 or 4 car garage (facing east)

-House faces north and we need a patio configuration that supports outdoor living area to the south to southwest (not the east of the house)

-Large kitchen with an island that seats at least 4 people

-Nook large enough to seat an 8 top if needed (6 top on a typical day)

-Don't need a dining room

-Santa Barbara elevation (like the original plan)

Thanks again for your help and I'll be back soon!

• mrspete
    7 years ago

Furnished room over garage.

I would've said Finished Room Over Garage, but let's not quibble!
    My advice to you, is go on open house tours....lots of them! They let
    you take pics, usually...take pics of what you like about each
    house..then sit down and REALLY prioritize!
    Yes -- and don't rush through. Stop and measure things. This is how you figure out what you consider a perfect sized shower, how you decide how much space is okay around a breakfast table, how big a fireplace you consider good.

Based on your feedback, we've narrowed down the list of things that are important to us:

This is good. You're analyzing what you actually want ... in detail.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Our architect (draftsman) has given us a handful of other plans to work with but so far nothing is exciting us.

Do yourself a favor and forget your draftsman. He/she has proven they are not a designer and don't have the design skills needed. I had the same problem with my draftsman. He considered himself a designer. He wasn't. Thankfully though, I do have some design skill and I also had lots of help from the architects and excellent laypersons on this forum to create a well laid out house.

A true designer or architect will be able to create a house working both the interior and exterior at the same time. Additionally, he/she will consider your land at the same time.

He/she will not just hand you other plans to work with because a true designer or architect knows each house has their own challenges and requirements based on the land and the clients. (The one exception to the land question may be a small infill city lot but even those have their own conditions.)

Please go find yourself an architect or real person of design talent. One who can take your wishes and give you a house you wouldn't have even imagined, but one you'll love and be able to live in for years.

• Jason R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok folks, we've been back to the drawing board and we've decided to stay with the current floorplan but we have reconfigured the kitchen and adjacent areas as shown below. The plan has been flipped from what I previously posted.

I'd like to ask for your feedback on the new kitchen layout and the pantry/walkway areas.

We're kicking around the idea of making the current island into a double island. How do you all think that would work with this layout?

Thanks in advance!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Why are you sticking with the same floor plan?

You still have a convoluted hallway leading to the two bedrooms.

You still have everyone who will be walking through your kitchen instead of going around it because people take the path of least resistance, so why bother with the hallway?

You still have a very dark kitchen that will get no natural light.

You still have a powder room that butts up against your master bedroom, so if anyone stays up late and uses it, and you're sleeping or visa versa in the morning, you'll be hearing them using it.

The back hallway will still be dark and dreary.

The water heater is still in the garage.

The laundry room still hasn't moved and will be difficult to vent as well as dark.

You still have lots of jigs and jogs that will add to the cost of your build.

So to answer your question, "How do you all think that would work with this layout?"

I think the problems go way beyond the kitchen layout still but you seem married to this idea for your house design. I ask the question, Why?

• Jason R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi cpartist. We're sticking with the plan because we feel that it will work well for us with these minor tweaks. You bring up some good points so let me address them.

I don't have the doors labeled but the two bedroom doors and the bathroom door are all clustered together. Seems pretty efficient to me.

You still have everyone who will be walking through your kitchen instead of going around it because people take the path of least resistance, so why bother with the hallway?

This is a great point. We considered going with an L shaped kitchen (eliminate the walkway near the fridge) but we were worried about the resulting access from the garage. Any thoughts on how to improve upon the current layout?

I disagree. We have a similar amount of windows now and we have plenty of light. Our property is situated such that all of the windows will be uncovered. Plus, its PHX so sunlight is abundant.

You still have a powder room that butts up against your master bedroom, so if anyone stays up late and uses it, and you're sleeping or visa versa in the morning, you'll be hearing them using it.

Good point but I'm not concerned about that.

Considered that we expect that the glass double doors on the office will help that.

The water heater is still in the garage.

We're using a recirc pump so we'll be fine. You won't find a new home out here with a WH anywhere other than the periphery of the house so this is common.

The laundry room still hasn't moved and will be difficult to vent as well as dark.

We've confirmed that venting isn't a problem and we'll rely on a solar tube for natural light.

You still have lots of jigs and jogs that will add to the cost of your build.

We'll be looking at possibly cleaning some of that up but the cost to re-engineer may not justify the savings in construction.

Thanks again for the feedback and I appreciate any advice that you can lend on the current layout!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I stand by my comments. It will not be an easy house to live in.

Yellow is all your hallway spaces.

The red arrow is your path from your bedroom carrying loads of laundry. Better you than me.

The green is your kids moving from the public room to their rooms.

BTW: Solar tubes are great but they don't take the place of walking towards natural light, i.e.: windows.

I don't have the doors labeled but the two bedroom doors and the bathroom door are all clustered together. Seems pretty efficient to me.

It's not the fact that they're clustered together. That is fine. It's the fact that it's a twisted hallway leading to their bedrooms. If using the real hallway (and not through the kitchen), the bedroom furthest from the main part of the house would require 4 turns just to get to the main hallway.

Why would you want to make 4 turns just to get to a bedroom? It's just POOR design

This is a great point. We considered going with an L shaped kitchen (eliminate the walkway near the fridge) but we were worried about the resulting access from the garage. Any thoughts on how to improve upon the current layout?

Not without redesigning everything else.

I disagree. We have a similar amount of windows now and we have plenty of light. Our property is situated such that all of the windows will be uncovered. Plus, its PHX so sunlight is abundant.

Will you be putting a deck on the back of the lot?

Good point but I'm not concerned about that.

You might be once the kids are staying up later than you or having guests.

Considered that we expect that the glass double doors on the office will help that.

Please explain to me how having double doors on your office will help light the hallway with the twists and turns. It won't!

We've confirmed that venting isn't a problem and we'll rely on a solar tube for natural light.

Where will it vent?

Even with a solar tube it will still feel like being in a closet because we as humans want to feel as if we can look out. With some real thought you could actually build it closer to your bedroom and have real natural light.