SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windycitylindy

Letting go of perfect

windycitylindy
12 years ago

I need to let go of this crippling idea that everything in our new remodel needs to be perfect. There will be things that I wish I'd done differently or that I wish could be different but can't. I've spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours obsessing over all the details, and I need to just let go of some of the worry and embrace what IS.

You see, we have this three-gang switch on our wall by the new kitchen doorway. We all thought very carefully about where the switches for each set of lights should be, and we decided (probably correctly) that we needed each main set of lights to be controllable by the main door we use. Well...we later changed an upper cabinet to be a tower that sits on the counter to hold mixers and so forth. We also bumped it out a little bit from the regular uppers. You can see what's coming, right? Somehow no one noticed that there was no longer going to be room for this three-switch outlet. Instead we'll go with two switches in one gang (kind of like this: http://www.smarthome.com/4232W/TradeMaster-Single-Gang-Double-Decora-Combination-Switches-TM811-WCC/p.aspx ) and one switch on its own. It will be fine. I know it will. And yet, I can't stop obsessing on it.

Remodels are full of little situations like this. Things that really don't matter much in the big scheme of things, but they become all-important when we're in the middle of it. I see it here on GW all the time, and I sure see it in myself!

So, commiserate with me! Chime in with your own stories of having to let go of the idea of perfect and enjoy what you have! And if you have an idea for my switches, throw that in too!

Here is a link that might be useful: two switches in one gang

Comments (37)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!