SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Greening your kitchen?

bluekitobsessed
16 years ago

Are you making an effort to make your kitchen greener and if so, what? Here's what I'm doing (and not doing):

1. Replacing the Reagan-era fridge! Apparently the magic cutoff for energy efficiency is 1992-93. I started using mine already and even though it's 20% bigger than the POS, my electric bill dropped 20% in the 1st month.

2. Replacing the old DW with a Thermador/Bosch should make a difference too. Not so sure about the range, MW, and hood.

3. I couldn't recycle the old kitchen components but I did give the bar sink to a neighbor (freecycling).

4. I'll use fluorescent lighting when I can (in CA, we have to) but I'm still trying to find a warmer colored light bulb.

5. I'm trying, very hard, to not revert to disposable paper plates during the remodel...so far.

6. I must confess that I'm using ordinary materials in the kitchen and not trendy renewable/recycled materials. CR was very negative about bamboo floors wearing too fast, and I'm not convinced that recycling glass into countertops is an efficient use of energy. Granite is coming from Brazil, hardly local. I'm using maple, not lyptus wood (not even sure what that is). I did make sure that the cabinet company (Showplace) has an environmental certificate from KCMA.

7. I'm not planning a celphone/ipod charging center because those are power vampires. If I did I would use something like this

8. If you have a water-thru-the-door fridge, does it help cut down the use of plastic water bottles? (I don't but I refill a nalgene bottle.)

9. Keeping it clean when it's done...what are the reviews of Greenworks, Method, and the like?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Strip - keep cel phone charging vampires at bay

Comments (21)