SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolek_gw

Overall design question

carolek
15 years ago

When you plan your design for a full-sized quilt that is expected to be used as a comforter or bedspread, do you usually make your design symetrical?

I guess I'm asking, do you expect the quilt to lay flat or fold over the pillows? Most quilts that I saw in my early quilting days were hung up in shows or photographed as a full quilt. They were generally symetrical. The problem arises when you fold them over a pillow, the design is interrupted.

I always used a quilt bedspread style, so I started designing quilts to center on the pillow area at the top. That meant the overall design was no longer the same from bottom to top. And that can create some odd ball designs.

I call the following quilt Odd Ball Design #1. It was a wedding quilt commission--I think so because of the initial in the center--maybe it was just a gift. Anyway, when I looked at the picture after all these years, I thought,"Where did I come up with that design? I only thing I could think as a reason what designing to go over a pillow.

Carole

Comments (9)