SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

Don't you love new quilt shops??

budster
15 years ago

A new one has opened up a few kilometers from where I live. I happened to be in the village and asked a few business owners where "the new fabric shop" was located. Only one knew and directed me accordingly. Picture an old heritage house with original fittings - floorings, newel post on the grand stairwell, stained glass windows, pocket doors and crown moulding by the mile...... you enter by the front door into a summer porch with welcoming plants and couches you want to stretch out on and just enjoy the sun, the main enterance has said stairwell rising up to the second floor (where they are fixing up things so I couldn't get up there !) the lovely hued wood on the walls a lovely golden hue.... on the left of the main enterance was the "shop" where without distrubing the original features are free standing shelves of lovely fabrics arranged by colors and types....row upon row of colors. On top of the shelves the lady had arranged a wonderful assortment of featherweights all polished and making you want to reach up and take one down and begin sewing... she had the cases as well and an assortment of different feet in another display. Being as I own a featherweight myself, we got talking about all her different machines....and she knew so much...each had a name and she knew the when and where each was made......and she then pointed out the distinctive features of each. It was an interesting lesson for me. Then she showed me her "soon to be" classroom in the old parlor and dining room area of the house......it was also a work in motion but you could certainly see the love going into the preparation. After taking up enough of the lady's time I bid good bye and she walked me to the front door like an old friend, shook my hand and asked me back ..... there was only one customer in the whole place during the time I was there but I am sure business will pick up once word is out. Isn't it nice to feel "at home" rather than in a superbox style store sometimes. I must go back and post pictures for you all when it is all done. Just thought you might like to hear of my latest adventure. Budster

Comments (13)