SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

RECIPE: orange sherbet from norge fridge cookbook

chery2
17 years ago

Whew! After a morning of formatting and re-formatting the layout of the NORGE COLD COOKERY and RECIPE DIGEST [No year given, but pictures of ringer washers and boasts of the Norge "Rollator," which consists of "three simple moving parts -- a roller, shaft and blade, which are sealed in a bath of oil" promise to "make you healthier, wealthier, and happier" would date it back to at least the '50s, wouldn't you say?]

I get impatient with recipies for ice cream that end with something like, "Follow ice-cream maker manufacturer's instructions" for time and consistency, when I don't HAVE an ice-cream maker. (Same is true w/ a recipe called "Dill Biscuits" whose first ingredient is a roll of 10 refrigerator biscuits!)

PINEAPPLE SHERBET

The following sherbet requires one or two stirrings

to give it a fine, even texture. However, the home manager

may prefer the extra work rather than pay the price

of whipping cream. (Don't you love it?!)

Combine pineapple (juice and pulp), orange juice, rind, and sugar.

Stir until the sugar is entirely dissolved.

Add the evaporated milk and salt.

Pour into a tray and freeze in the Norge Refrigerator.

When partially frozen, remove from the tray and stir thoroughly.

(Serves 6.)

1 CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE

¼ CUP ORANGE JUICE

1 t. GRATED ORANGE RIND

1/4 CUP POWDERED SUGAR

1 TALL CAN EVAPORATED MILK (What's a "tall can" of EM?)

1/8 TEASPOON. SALT

The little book also offers recipes for Sandwiches and Spreads, Tasty Meat Dishes, Sunday Night Suppers, Salads, Salad Dressings, Desserts, Ice Cream and Ices, Cookies, Cakes, and Refrigerator Rolls.

If anyone's craving an old recipe from one of those categories, let me know, and I'll try to format it for you.

chery2

Comments (2)