SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Trash 'shopping' and finding neat stuff

Kathsgrdn
13 years ago

Today was a pick up day for our area by the city for our old appliances and other big junk that we no longer want. The kids and I put our stuff out last night and people were already coming around to see what we had.

Some guy had come by and taken an old bookcase before we even finished putting things out. The ex had made it for Alex years ago but never finished it and it was very narrow with an unsteady bottom that flipped over easily so it wasn't being used.

Other people waited, apparently for dark before coming and going through our stuff. When I got Lauren up for school this morning, the old broken treadmill was gone, along with her old broken day bed, and I'm pretty sure the old pulled apart computer towers (I asked Alex a couple days ago to take out and destroy the harddrives). He also took the ram(?) out of one of them so we could sell it at our yardsale. The bad thing is all the screws from the treadmill weren't with it and they didn't take the cover that went over the motor, so I'm wondering if they just wanted parts? The major parts were broken, though. The day bed was the same way, finials, screws, washers, and some of the rails were missing. Wonder what they were going to do with it?

It also looked like the two broken microwaves were gone too, along with a broken chair and other stuff. Is it easy to fix microwaves? There was a nice big square piece of glass that came off an end table but it didn't look like it was taken.

I'm glad someone thought they could use our old stuff but I'm puzzled by some of the stuff they took.

The city didn't pick up the old cans of paint and I'm wondering if it was them or other people who took the boxes of old cleaning supplies now. Apparently, I had forgotten them in the garage for the last 6 years, after our move here. They were coated in dust, spider webs and who knows if they were still good? So, I threw them out. I thought they were picking up paint and other chemicals you can't throw out in the normal trash...but maybe I'm wrong. I just looked out and it looks like some of the paint cans are gone too. There were quite a few, most them rusting cans from the old owner, there's only 7 left.

Anyway, the kids got side-tracked as we were taking the stuff out to the curb last night and they started finding old toys, cards, a baseball signed by Babe Ruth that my dad had gotten Alex right after he was born-lol, etc....they have big plans to make big money on the Pokemon cards they found. I already gave away hundreds of those things to the son of one of my co-workers....and the kids found even more. I must've spent all my extra school loan money on those cards back then!

So, this weekend I'll be buying a few plastic bins and putting away whatever I decide is worth keeping, which won't be much more than Christmas ornaments. The rest is getting thrown away or put on sale for a yard sale when I get back from vacation. I can't believe I've accumulated so much junk over the years or why I chose to keep some of this stuff for so long.

It's kind of sad, though, seeing the last bit of Alex's childhood toys being thrown out or sold. Lauren is keeping some of his stuffed animals but there is very little left. Last night I told him he should keep the camo safari hat we got on our trip out West a few years ago. It's too small for him, but who knows, one day he may want to give it to his own son.

Comments (13)