SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twix6

Final comments on layout before submiting kitchen order?

twix6
12 years ago

Hi

I have been going over the kitchen design for over two months, trying to figure out the best design. Our requirement was to fit in a 48 inch stove, to have sitting for 5 people in the island, and the have the sink positioned the way it is in the design so that it overlooks the family room.

There was a plumbing chase that was messing up the design but we decided to spend the money and remove it. This way there is lot more open space.

I thin the current layout covers most of our needs.

1) Sink row

The sink area has a dishwasher to the left, sink in the middle, a 15 inch trash pull out and a 9 inch space rack pull out. We wanted a 24 inch symetry on either side of the sink that is why a space pull out is added to the trash pull out. It is not right next to the stove, but it is right behind it.

2) Island

Not crazy about the island shape, but accommodates sitting for 6. It looks a bit like a male organ, which kind a bother us, so we are open on suggestions. The cabinet under the sitting area is a 33 inch wide, 18 inch deep with drawers on both sides.

3) Stove area

Pots and pans drawers on both sides of the stove. On the left would be pots and pants, with cooking spatulas in the top drawer. On the right of the stove, it would actually be a pegged drawer for plates. Kids can get it and it is right next to the dishwasher. Cutlery in the above drawer.

Spices in the upper left cabinet, glasses in the upper right cabinet.

4) Fridge wall

The 24 inch pantry with pull outs. Keep debating if we should place the microwave in the pantry, or should we waste a base cabinet. The built in MW looks slick, but space is also limited for storage. Open to suggestions.

Fridge is not counter depth, but decided against bumping out the fridge side panels in case we get a counter depth one.

5) Beverage center

The fridge and wall cabinet to the right of the island in the wall are not drawn well. Actually there is a hole in the wall that is 24 inches wide and about 28 inches deep. So the cabinet and the fridge would be fully recessed. The upper cabinet is 15 inches deep and 24 in height. Allowing space for wine glasses hanging from the top and space for a coffee machine on the counter above the fridge.

Any last minute changes ideas concerns would be greatly appreciated?

p.s. Home Depot quoted me around $10,700 for this kitchen in Kraftmaid, piermont style, off white color, which I think it is a good price given the current promotions.

Comments (9)