SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socaldisneydude

Rent to own

socaldisneydude
16 years ago

My fiance and I currently live in Southern CA where, despite the sluggish real estate market, we are still priced out of ever purchasing a home. We make about 50K a year and it's very depressing knowing that we will never be able to afford a home and are doomed to rent untill we die.

The only choice we have is to move to more affordable areas of the state, namely the central valley, 5 hours north of Los Angeles. We lived there for a year a few years ago and moved down to So. Cal to be closer to family. We were paying 500 a month for a nice, large apartment compared to the 1300 per month we pay now in Orange County.

I've looked at recent listings on Craigs List, a great site to find anything and everything for sale or rent, and did a search for the town where we used to live to see how much rent was going for these days in our old town. Rent was about the same but we also discovered something amazing.

For LESS than what we are paying now we could be renting a 3 bedroom house, with backyard for our dog, a garage and all necessary appliances. Many of these home rentals RENT TO OWN so perhaps the dream of someday owning our own home is here.

BUT here is my question. Is this a smart thing to do? I know that other rent to own situations,like rent to own furniture, is a total rip off because of the outrageous finace charges you end up paying far more for the items then if you saved up and bought it on your own.

So....should we seek a rent to own situation with a home? Look for an owner financed situation? Just rent a home till we can afford an actual home of our own the old fashioned way?

Please advise!

Comments (17)