SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlblue_gw

LOOKING for: Appetizer recipes!

girlblue
18 years ago

I'm hosting a large party in two weeks and need a bit of help coming up with appetizers. Please post your best appezitizer recipes here.

I'd like to share these two tried and true recipes while we're at it:

Baked Brie with Mushrooms and Almonds

2 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

2 tablespoons slivered almonds

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1 tablespoon brandy

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

1 (8 ounce) wedge Brie cheese, coating removed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms until tender. Mix in garlic and almonds, heating until almonds are lightly browned. Cover with brandy and sprinkle with tarragon. Place Brie in a small baking dish. Pour the mushroom and brandy mixture over Brie. Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes, or until gooey.

This is adapted from a recipe at Allrecipes.com:

Cilantro Dip

1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened

1 tablespoon sour cream

1 (7 ounce) can salsa verde

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

salt to taste

Combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, peppers,salt, cumin, garlic powder, cilantro and lime juice in medium sized bowl. Chill for 2 hours and serve with tortilla chips.

Comments (18)

• angelaid
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pizza Dip

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 cup pizza sauce
    1/4 cup pepperoni, chopped
    1/4 cup onions, chopped
    1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
    1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, and garlic powder. Spread the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate. Pour the pizza sauce on top of the cheese mixture. Top with the pepperoni, onions and green peppers. Bake for 10 minutes, remove and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with warm pita wedges or chunks of crusty french bread.

• angelaid
    18 years ago

Toasted Crab Appetizers:

* l stick butter or margarine
    * 1/2 t garlic powder
    * 1 5-6 oz. jar Old English Cheese Spread
    * 6-8 oz crabmeat
    * 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    * 6 English muffins

Soften the butter to room temperature while preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the cheese spread into the butter and stir in the mayonnaise. Add garlic powder and stir until all is completely blended - no lumps. Gently stir in crabmeat. Slice the muffins in half and divide the crab mixture on the 12 halves. Cut each half into quarters and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and the edges are brown. Serve at once. The spread can be made in advance and refrigerated for a couple of days. These may also be frozen before cooking for later use. Make the muffins up and cut into quarters. Freeze them on cookie sheets, and then place them in the freezer in zip-loc bags for storage. They will keep a month or two without losing much flavor.

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Polenta as an appetizer.....

Q

Comments (7)
    Here is one from Giada that I made over the holidays. It was a hit, and there were no leftovers! Polenta Squares With Mushroom Ragu 2 cups boiling water 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning 1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta 1 tablespoon olive oil 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning 1 clove garlic, minced 3/4 cup dry Marsala 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves Bring the water, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir constantly until the polenta thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour the polenta into a greased 9 by 9-inch baking pan, spreading so that it is 1/3-inch thick. Cover and let stand at room temperature until set, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and saute until the juices evaporate, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Add the Marsala. Cover and simmer until the Marsala has reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Stir the flour and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl to form a paste, then stir the paste into the mushroom mixture. Cover and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir the parsley into the ragu. Season the ragu, to taste, with more salt and pepper. Cut the polenta into 36 bite-size squares. Arrange the polenta squares on a platter. Spoon the warm ragu atop the polenta and serve immediately. Linda
    ...See More

recipe: looking for: asparagus w. lemon appetizer

Q

Comments (4)
    The lemon wasabi mayo sounds like it would be good with artichokes too. I've got a lot of summer squash and green beans. I bet it would also work as a topper or dip with those. Thanks for the recipe, Ginger. Sometimes my brain shuts down and I can't think of anything different to do.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Easy Appetizer Recipes to bring on boat for the 4th

Q

Comments (6)
    How about a cheese ball? HAM CHEESE BALL (serves 12-15) Two 8 oz pkg crema cheese, softened 1 cup ground smoked ham 1 TBL grated onion 2 tsp dried parsley flakes 1/2 tsp seasoned pepper 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans Combine first 5 ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Cover & chill 30-60 minutes. Shape mixture into a large ball & coat w/chopped nuts. Wrap w/plastic wrap & refrigerate. Serve chilled w/assorted crackers.~~Food for Thought This is good with corn chips: 5 green onions, chopped 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained & chopped 1 cup sour cream 1 cup mayonnaise 2 TBL soy sauce In a bowl, mix together green onions, water chestnuts, sour cream, mayo & soy sauce. Pour in a container & refrigerate.~~Kitchen Miracles KINGSTOWNE WRAPS 1 1/2 cups shredded cole slaw mix 1/2 cupwater chestnuts, finely chopped 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions 2 tsp Asian sesame oil (the dark kind) 4 TBL plum sauce 4-6 flour tortillas combine first 4 ingredients & 3 TBL plum sauce, mixing well. Spread remaining 1 TBL plum sauce evenly over tortillas; spread 1/2 cup cole slaw mix on each tortilla to within 1/4" of edges. Roll tortillas up tightly & wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour. (Overnight works, too.) cut diagonally into 1" slices when ready to serve.~~What Can I Bring?
    ...See More

LOOKING for: cream cheese zucchini pizza appetizer recipe?

Q

Comments (3)
    I found this online googling. You can add cheese to it. I'd add some parmesan to the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle the top with mozzarella. Appetizer pizza 1 can 7.5 oz buttermilk biscuits 1 Onion; cut in rings 1 c Zucchini; chopped 4 oz Mushrooms, can; drained 2 tb Margarine 8 oz Cream cheese; softened 1/4 c Milk 1 Egg; beaten 1/4 ts Salt Separate each biscuit into two layers. Place on bottom and sides of greased 12-inch pizza pan, pressing together to form crust. Saute onions, zucchini and mushrooms in margarine. Combine cream cheese, milk, egg and salt, mixing until well blended. Stir in vegetables; pour over crust. Bake at 400 F., 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm. Source: Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese Cookbook
    ...See More
  • ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

All those sound great!

ROQUEFORT GRAPES (makes 50)
    1 lb large, seedless red grapes
    10 oz pecans
    4 TBL crumbled Roquefort cheese
    8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    2 TBL heavy cream
    Wash the grapes & pat dry. Crush the pecans on a platter or sheet of waxed paper. Combine the Roquefort, cream cheese & cream in a bowl & mix well. Roll the grapes in the cheese mixture & then in the pecans, coating well. Chill, covered, until serving time.~~ First Impressions

WEST INDIES SALAD (serves 4)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 lb fresh lump crabmeat (I used frozen, drained)
    Salt & pepper to taste
    4 oz vegetable oil
    3 oz cider vinegar
    4 oz ice water
    Spread 1/2 the onion over the bottom of a large bowl. Cover with separated crab lumps & then remaining onion. Season with salt & pepper. Pour oil, vinegar & ice water over all. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator for 2-12 hours. Toss lightly before serving. Serve on ripe tomato slices or with crackers as an appetizer~~

• User
    18 years ago

Stuffed Mushrooms (can be prepared early in the day)

20 large white mushrooms
    1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
    4 or 5 green onions,chopped fine
    2- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar
    1/3 Cup bread crumbs
    salt

Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems finely (I use the food processor). Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir
    just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the .~
    Stuff the mixture into the caps and sprinkle with a bit of salt (or you can salt after they come out of the oven...which is what I usually do). Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft.~

Sharon's Spanikopita (this can be made ahead and frozen)

16 Oz Phyllo Dough Thawed in the fridge For 24 Hours
    10 Oz Frozen Spinach Thawed and strained of all liquid
    3/4 pound Feta Cheese
    1/2 Lb Cottage Cheese Pressed and drained of all liquid About 1 Cup1/4
    1 lb Cream Cheese, Softened
    3 Eggs
    1/4 Cup Fresh Dill, Chopped Fine
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg
    3/4 Cup Butter Melted

In large bowl combine all ingredients except phylo and butter.~Working with one sheet of phylo at a time, brush with melted~butter and cut in 5 strips lengthwise. Place 1 spoonful of~mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom, fold the bottom piece up over the filling and then fold up into triangles. Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up , to the right,up etc.

These can be made ahead and frozen for up to three months.~
    When ready to cook: Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden.Serve warm

Palmiers With Honey Mustard And Prosciutto (Diane)

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and rolled to 18" x 11"
    3 TBSP honey mustard
    4 Ounces prosciutto -- thinly sliced
    1 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
    1 egg
    2 tsp water

Place the puff pastry on a work surface and spread the mustard over the top. Arrange the prosciutto evenly over the mustard to cover all the pastry, and then sprinkle with the Parmesan. Lightly press the cheese into the prosciutto with a rolling pin. Starting at one long edge, roll up the puff pastry like a jelly roll just to the middle of the dough; then roll up the other side in the same fashion, making two rolls that meet in the center. Using a serrated knife, cut
    the rolls crosswise into 1/2" slices. Place the slices on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and press lightly with your hands to flatten.

Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush the top of each palmier with the egg wash. Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Servings: 20

• woodie
    18 years ago

Some of my favorite appetizers are from friends here - if they don't post the recipes, I'll come back and post some! (Tuna Pate, Tuscan Bean Dip, Savory Spinach Balls, Spinach Cups, Roquefort Popovers, Surprise Cheese Balls, Marinated Mozzarella) All are great!

BLUE CHEESE WALNUT BITES
    (BHG 2000)

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2-3 teaspoons cracked black pepper
    8 ounces blue cheese
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    2 egg yolks, slighty beaten

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and pepper. Using a pastry blender cut in cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and egg yolks. Stir until combined. Form the mixture into a ball; knead until combined.

Divide dough in half. shape each half into a log about 9 inches long. Wrap logs in plastic wrap, chill at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 425*

Cut each log into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms and edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temp. Store tightly covered.

• girlblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! There are some great looking recipes posted. I'm especially looking forward to trying the roquefort grapes. They are quite different from anything I've ever served. Thanks everyone!

• danain
    18 years ago

Here is the {{gwi:2045162}} recipe Woodie mentioned:

9 slices dense white bread
    10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach; thawed
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    6 oz. cream cheese; softened
    2 oz. jar pimiento; drained and minced
    1 small clove garlic; minced
    salt and pepper to taste

Spray 36 count mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Trim crust from bread, cut into four squares, and flatten each with rolling pin. Press bread into muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 5 to 7 minutes until lightly browned.

Drain spinach and press between paper towels removing moisture. Over medium heat melt butter and add onion; sauté until tender. Stir in spinach and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add cream cheese, pimiento, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir and heat thoroughly. Spoon 1 teaspoon into each bread cup and bake at 350° for 5 minutes until hot. Serve immediately.

Marilyn

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Ginger's Roquefort Grapes are super-a friend who does some catering asked me for the recipe and she loves to use that recipe.

• woodie
    18 years ago

And, Roselin, do I have to post your recipe for Marinated Mozzarella for you :-) or will you do it? Those little guys on a toothpick are addictive, as I and our DS and DDIL will attest to!

• roselin32
    18 years ago

I have it here on the computer, Woodie-glad you like it and so do we!
    Marinated Mozzarella -- Roselin
    1 lb fresh domestic mozzarella
    1/2 c olive oil (I use the lite)
    2 large cloves garlic, pressed
    10 coarse grinds black pepper
    2/3 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp salt- less if using
    4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
    Drain cheese of all brine. Cut in cubes. Whisk together all remaining ingredients. Toss with cheese.
    Yield: about 4 cups
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Ah, you knuckled under to that veiled threat by Woodie. . . She's evil. LOL

• roselin32
    18 years ago

I'm easily intimidated by her!

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Roselin, I have anchovy paste, can that be substituted for the minced anchovies?

Those Spinach cups look good, too, Marilyn!
    And those grapes intrigue me too!

Giving a bridal shower in a couple of weeks, may try these!
    Thanks!

Linda

• Jamie_MS
    18 years ago

This one is excellent!

SHRIMP SALSA

4 lbs. cooked, peeled shrimp
    8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
    1 cup diced red onion
    1 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
    1 1/4 cup serrano chili peppers, seeded & minced
    4 TBS fresh parsley
    juice of 4 limes
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Cut each shrimp into 3 or 4 pieces and place in large bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, serrano peppers and parsley. Mix to combine. Add the lime juice and oil and toss to mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill until serving time and serve with tortilla chips.

Note: If possible, let sit in the refrigerator for several hours for the flavors to mix before serving.

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

Here's a couple:

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Appetizers--hot

Phil's Roasted Garlic With Brie
    ===============================
    Phil's recipe
    . 2 whole heads of garlic-cut off straight across top-drizzle with olive
    oil & roast until cloves are soft- remove from oven & squeeze cloves
    out into ovem proof dish-add cut up brie-bake 350° until cheese melted.
    Serve with Wheat crackers or toasted rounds of baqette-scooping each
    clove & cheese out with crackers.

Savory Chicken Bites
    ====================
    8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
    1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon of onion salt
    1/8 teaspoon of dried thyme
    2 ounces of pimiento, drained and chopped (can leave out)

Combine all ingredients and mix well
    . Add 1 Cup of cooked chicken, chopped fine 1/3 Cup of celery, chopped
    fine

Stir celery and cooked chicken into the cream cheese mixture, mixing
    well

2 Cans of crescent rolls (8 ounce cans) . Separate crescent rolls into
    8 rectangles. Spread mixture evenly over the rectangles. Starting at
    long sides, roll up each one jellyroll fashion and pinch seams to seal.
    Slice into one inch pieces. Place seam down on an ungreased baking
    sheet. Bake at 375 degrees (preheat oven) for 12 to 15 minutes.

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Appetizers-cold

Tomato Basil Elephant Ears Copyright, 2005, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
    ===========================================================================
    1-1/4 cups sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 clove)
    5 cups basil leaves, packed
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup good olive oil
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
    1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
    . Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

To make the paste, place the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic in the bowl
    of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 30
    seconds. Add the basil, salt, and pepper. With the processor running,
    slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and
    process until pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for 15 seconds. Set
    aside.

Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry and place it on a lightly floured board.
    With a rolling pin, lightly roll the dough until it's a 13-inch square.
    Using a knife, spread the paste over the top of the puff pastry. Fold
    the sides of the square toward the center so they go halfway to the
    middle. Fold them again so the 2 folds meet exactly at the middle of
    the dough. Then fold one half over the other half as though closing a
    book. You will have 6 layers. Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and
    place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment
    paper. Brush each piece with egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 6
    minutes. Turn each pastry slice over and continue baking an additional
    5 minutes.

Zucchini Appetizers
    6 cups thinly sliced unpeeled zucchini (8 small)
    2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano leaves
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 cup vegetable oil
    8 eggs, slightly beaten

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
      2. Stir together all ingredients. Spread in pan.
      3. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 2-inch squares; cut squares diagonally in half into triangles.

makes 8 dz.

BLT BITES -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 16 Cherry tomatoes
    1 pound Bacon; cooked -- crumbled
    1/2 cup Mayonnaise -- or Salad dressing
    1/3 cup Chopped green onions
    3 tablespoons Grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons Snipped parsley
    (Recipe by: Taste of Home magazine, 93/08-09)
    Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp. Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl, combine all remain ingredients; mix well. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours.
    =====================================

Miniature Puff Appetizers And Fillings

1 C Water
    1/2 C Butter/margarine
    1 C Flour
    4 Eggs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat water and butter/margarine to a rolling boil in saucepan. Stir in the flour all at once and beat over low heat until the mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs thoroughly, one at a time. Beat mixture until smooth and velvety. Using a spoon or pressing with a pastry bag, drop balls the size of a thimble on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 25-30 minutes, or until puffs are golden brown and dry.NOTE: Puffs may be made in the morning and covered loosely with paper towel so they soften a little. Slice in half and fill with one of the fillings. Mix together all ingredients for any one of the fillings.

CORN BEEF FILLING
    1 Cn (12-oz) corned beef ,
    2 Tb Dried french onion soup mix -
    1 1/4 cup sour cream
    DEVILED HAM FILLING:
    1 Cn (2 1/2-oz) deviled ham
    1 Pk (3-oz) soften cream cheese
    1 Tb Chili sauce
    1/2 Ts Prepared mustard
    SPINACH FILLING:
    1 Box (10 1/2-oz) frozen spinach-chopped thawed and drained -well
    1 1/2 C Sour cream
    1/2 C Salad dressing
    1 Pk Vegetable dry soup mix
    1 C Chopped water chestnuts/ -almonds

Mix together all ingredients for any one of the fillings.

Or use your favorite chicken , lobster or shrimp salad for filling.

Diane

• iris_gal
    18 years ago

This is an easy make-ahead one for caaual get-togethers.

Stuffed Celery

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
    1/4 C. sour cream
    1/4 C. soft butter

1 Tbsp. minced capers
    1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
    1/2 tsp. minced onion
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. paprika

32 - 6" celery stalks (pieces)

Combine cream cheese, sour cream,
    and butter until smooth. Mix in
    remaining 5 ingredients.
    Fill celery stalks. Chill 2 hrs.
    or overnight.

• eleanor_2006
    18 years ago

Here's one that my husband had when he worked at Princeton.
    Not expensive and easy to fix.
    Crazy name: "Horses Ovaries" but tastes great.
    1 sleve of saltine crackers, cut up bits of onion, ketchup and peanut butter.
    He used Premium Saltines. Lay on a cutting board the
    saltines, but a dollop of peanut butter on each, then a
    dollop of ketchup and top with a small piece of onion.
    That's all there is to it. Try it you'll be very much
    surprised

• san_
    18 years ago

you've been given some great ideas here--and we have made ginger's west indies salad and roselin's marinated mozarella (usually using a bit of anchovie paste from a tube) many times--good stuff! and i used craftyrn's/diane's palmier before, subbing in some very thinly sliced sage with the proscuitto--excellent!

i don't know if you were looking for hot or cold things but there are lots of other things, some of which i've gotten from other folks here...

PESTO CHEESECAKE -- woodie
    CRUST
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
    1/2 cup melted butter
    Mix all together and press into 9" springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.
    FILLING
    4 (8 oz packages) cream cheese
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 cups pesto (from the refrigerator section of your grocer)
    Beat with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350* for 1 hour. Chill several hours or overnight. Remove from pan and decorate with a little chopped tomato or chopped sundried tomatoes. Slice into very thin slices and serve on small individual plates - or
    Cut into thirds and place 1/3 on serving plate and use to spread on crackers or baguettes. Be sure to decorate with a little chopped "red" tomato accent and maybe some green basil too. Looks beautiful! (If you cut into thirds, you can serve 1/3 and freeze the remaining for another time.)

Surprise Cheese Balls -- Weed
    2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 small jar pimento stuffed olives.
    Sift dry ingredients together. Add softened butter and cheese. (use hands to mix)
    Take about 1 tsp of dough and flatten. Put an olive in the middle and wrap dough around it, then roll to make a ball.
    Put tray of olives in freezer until firm.
    Bake 15 minutes in 400 degree oven.
    Sprinkle with paprika while still warm.
    NOTE: these are good with black olives or pecans, too.

Italian Bread Spread Eileen launonen
    1/2 lb Parmesan (I use Locatelli)
    1/2 lb Asiago
    2 tablespoons chopped green onion onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Chop cheese to rough cubes and place in food processor pulsate to a small pea like texture. Add remaining ingredient EXCEPT Olive Oil! Pulsate to combine now add Olive Oil and blend for maybe 30 seconds. Place in a airtight serving bowl and leave out at room temperature for 4 hours before serving.
    I serve with homemade crostini bread. This is addictive!!!!!!

Savory Cheddar and Jalapeño Jelly Cookies from Rick Rodgers
    Makes about 4 1/2 dozen
    8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, or sub apple butter or chutney
    Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes.
    Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets.
    Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2-inch-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations.
    Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.
    Can be baked up to two days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container and separate layers with wax paper.
    Annie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville